Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t I'm going to the horz.

wtsylvester

So I'm leaving the verticals and switching over to the horz. in the new job I got smile.gif

Look like a great company and they have made some big bucks investments.. diverse products..etc.. the kind of stuff you like to see in your employer.

I been a vmc guy and wondering what type of reprogramming of my brain I'm going to be looking at... beside holding my head sidewise wink.gif

Certainly there is the incorporating operations That would normally be seperate ops on the vmc.

Makino A51's and some new mori-seiki hs5000. I think that is the mori model.. 20,000 rpm anyway

thru tool coolant... speeds and feeds are surely going to be a bit different than the 7500rpm vf4 to say the least smile.gif

One of the a51 is true 4th axis the other 4th axis positioning. I guess there is a makino side and fanuc side of the controller..??

And there is MCam too... smile.gifsmile.gif

thanks

Congrats wtsylvester cheers.gif

I am a big fan of horizontals, got a couple of nice Mitsubishis' in here. One thing you should keep in mind that you need your Z,X,& Y axis returned home before every toolchange on the horizontals. Otherwise not much difference running them.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've got a Macro that does that. I type the T# and it goes home automagically.

code:

O9001(M6 SUB)

(#6071=6)

M9

M81

M89(COOLANT OFF)

M51(AIR BLOW ON)

M145(SPINDLE SENSOR OFF)

M3S300(SPINDLE ON)

G0G91G30Z0(HOME ALL AXIS)

G30X0Y0

G4X3.

M59(AIR OFF)

M5(AIR AND SPINDLE OFF)

M6(TOOL CHANGE)

G90

N2(CONTINUE)

M99

Then change parameter #6071 to 6

Basically it's saying when the M# is EQ to #6071 then goto program # O9001.

Here's one to put all the tools away

code:

O9002(M33 SUB)

(#6072=33)

G0G91G30Z0

G30X0Y0

G90G28B0.

M33

M99

Here's an M30 sub to return the machine to pallet change position...

code:

O9004(M30 SUB)

(#6074=30)

G0G91G30Z0

G30X0Y0

G90G28B0.

M30

M99

On our machine (Mori Seiki SH's) M60 changes the pallet but it needs to be at G30 to do it.

code:

O9003(M60 SUB)

(#6073=60)

G0G91G30Z0

G30X0Y0

G90G28B0.

M60

M99

Look in the parenthesis for the Machine parameters to change.

This is for a Fanuc 16iMa control, should be the same for an 18iMa as well.

HTH

So instead of looking down, i'm just standing behind it now instead looking straight out. I hear you on the toolchange.. Z going home ...but xy too?.oh yeah

because it got to get to the toolchanger ...duh

not like the vmc's where the toolchangers come to the spindle... oh those little differences smile.gif

It those pre-job jitters... don't want to be smacking the spindle nose into the tombstone:)

automagically smile.gif .... James I like that term

so does that jive .. mori sh5000.. that would be the machine name... I meant to catch the model #.. but you know how it is sometimes in the interview when they throw a bunch of stuff at you quickly.. it has 20k rpm.. tho I don't think they have made bought the tooling to support those r's

They bought another 3axis lathe in the meantime

I guess maybe one of the things I didn't think of and they brought it up is making sure that your indicator is gutentight due to gravity smile.gif

I'm not too sure if they have their posts all dialed in.. Sure would hate to pose that dreaded

"Need a post" question here smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You can always ask your reseller and either they have one or he can contact me and I'll float my SH Post to you.

Your Makino have tool breatage detection automatic tool length measurement???

James,

I'm not sure what features the makinos or the mori-seiki have... one makino they have had a couple of years ... one a little longer

the mori is brand new.

I could look on their facilities list but I think all it covers is travel...

I'm really stoked about this new job. It is the direction that I wanted to go. It will be a little different than the last place...it's like a hospital .. as soon as a chip hits the floor someone is right there sweeping it up smile.gif ....so unlike the last place I was at.

Anywho I'm still in NM and will be heading out there this weekend... really glad that it came thru...as last fri. before we left my finace put down a deposit on a house... before I found out I had the job.....whew... not like I worry about things like that or anything

The auto t/len feature would be way cool... I take it with the makino.. they said there were 2 sides of the controller... I'm taking it one side manages tools, work offsets, the pallet and the other side manages the part program.. bets me.. I'll be finding out soon enough smile.gif

If it is anything like our makino S33, you will have the fanuc controller, but you will use makino routines, sub-routines, error codes & messages. These are pretty close to the fanuc stuff, but with different error code #'s, different routine #'s, etc....

If you are familiar with fanuc, you should have no trouble getting up to speed.

In the past I ran a Maho horizontal. there was very little difference with the exception that the X axis was backwards (X+ moved the spindle to the left).

Good luck!

Also, any Nebraskians out there.. seeing as That's where I'm headed..like to take this opportunity to say .. Howdy!!

I love what I seen out there... migrating from the desert, nice to be around things that are green:).. guess I'll be getting used to some colder winters tho smile.gif

Guess it's time to say "Go Huskers" and hope James doesn't give me too hard a time smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Guess it's time to say "Go Huskers" and hope James doesn't give me too hard a time...

They're not much of a threat to anything other than sheep anyway.. eek.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

j/k

You anywhere near Hastings, Nebraska???

I want to thank you all for the well wishes.

I really feel that it's going to work, sure there

will be some problems no doubt. I get a strong sense of teamwork being in play there and that makes me pretty happy right there. Grown weariy

of the solo effort feelings and back-biting etc.

It's going to be the big five oh birthday coming up next month and I feel like I got a present early smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...if it took took six setups to machine that casting on a verticle, it stiil takes six setups to do it on a horizontal...

Then somebody was not planning the job as efficiently as possible.

JM2C

Yeah James that place would have driven you nuts too. The day I interviewed, I saw a guy tipping a vise on a CNC, to mill a 45 degree angle on the end of a bar. That's right, he cranked the vise bridgeport style 45 degrees so that the milling moves were straight X or Y. No one in the place could do 45 degree math. Of course he may have been seeking high accuracy rolleyes.gif he was indicating the vise with a combination square. The boss thought I was wasting time bulding a fixture to machine a casting in one fixture rather than four (they had run that job on a vertical for years and were now running it through four fixtures on a horizontal). I gave them 3 months and split. That company has filed bankruptcy twice in the last 9 years.

I don't know the Mori machines. Have a ton of fun.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Mori-seiki SL-25 Mc-500 ...

SL-25MC/500 and yes that is a FANTASTIC machine!!! I totally dig mill-turn machines. You can do so much with them with just a little creativity.

Have fun with it... I know I would!

well it's time to be hitting the road

I want to thank all of you for your words of encouragement. it's going to be a little tough at first as my fiance won't be outthere for another month. So i'll be staying at some little motel until she gets there and we close on the house.

But in some ways that's okay, it will allow me to concentrate on the task at hand

so it's off I go and will be back once I'm online again cheers.gifcheers.gif