Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

composites

steve f

Anyone in here have experience manufacturing carbon fiber and/or kevlar parts? I have a little project that will involve bonding either aluminum or stainless pieces to kevlar and carbon fiber parts. I'm planning to make a mould to compress the laminate while bonding the metal simultaneously and just hunting for good ideas or tips on what I should keep in mind.

steve

I'm looking for ideas on how to bond the material, specifically bonding kevlar and carbon fiber to metal parts. What works, what doesn't kind of thing. The only info I've found so far is that carbon fiber touching aluminum will cause galvanic corrosion so an insulating material like fiberglass needs to be used. Other than that, I don't even know if bonding composites to metal is possible.

Thanks so far,

steve

The resin you use is technically enough to hold the metal as long as you rough it up a little. What you have to look out for is "Galvanic Corrosion" (Not like I truly understand what that means). But to prevent that, you would use a standard epoxy. Putting a layer of that inbetween the two materials will protect, and help strengthen the bond. You might also want to look in to anodizing the aluminum and cad plating the steel.

That's about all I can really help you with, it's not something I actually do, just something I've "accidently absorbed" here at work!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah, what Slick said, though I had no idea about

quote:

..."Galvanic Corrosion"...

Have not heard about that.

Annodizing does wonders for you though. The process attacks the surface of the Aluminum and makes the resin able to adhere. Whan scuffing the Aluminum, use a cross hatch pattern if possible.

JM2C