Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

bullines..... i need help!!!

biss03

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mAYDAY .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a exe once that killed the boot sector and made the hard drive virtually dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

fOR THIS THINGS try this

boot From win 98 floppy disk

in prompt type

fdisk /MBR

(this is nonspecified inner Microsoft switch for Master boot record restoration )

Can be applied to any Win OS

HTH

WTHh

i'm still getting the trouble with updating the config files as stated in the original post. however, i've been able to get further into the reinstall and everytime it restarts it tries to update again and gets the same problem. it seems to be continuing with the reinstall but i'm not sure what effect not being able to update the config files will have. anyone have any ideas.

yes the floppy drive works. i used it to back up all her files.

by booting up do you mean putting it in the drive and then powering up the computer? if yes, then no. i've been unable to boot with the floppy. i've never been given the option with the A:> prompt. how do i get it? is there any other way?

In your BIOS, you must be sure that the floppy drive is your first boot device. Save your changes and reboot with the boot disk in the floppy drive.

If this doesn't work, you could try something a little sneaker. I'm assuming you have no problems booting from a CD. If that's the case, borrow a Windows 2000/XP CD from someone and boot off of that. Start the setup and when it gets to the point that you can format, format your drive with FAT (NTFS is unreadable by Windows 95/98/ME). When it's done formatting, but before it begins to copy files, reboot the computer and put your WinME CD in right away (removing the other CD first, of course). The ME installation should then find a cleanly formatted drive to install itself on.

quote:

I've never seen it not find a CD-ROM driver yet for any CD Drive. It's the only thing MS did 100%

I mentioned it b/c it happened to a friend of mine. He had an older Packard Bell PC and when he wanted to reinstall Windows after formatting the HD, it wouldn't recognize the CD-ROM drive at all! At the time, I downloaded a driver for him that he had to manually install in order to proceed but it set him back a bit of time. I can't recall now but it was some off-brand CD-ROM drive that came with the computer when he bought it. Anyway, it worked out in the end but I never forgot that experience. It's a beautiful thing when we can learn from the mistakes of OTHER PEOPLE! wink.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~

by booting up do you mean putting it in the drive and then powering up the computer? if yes, then no

~~~~~~~~~~

Man ,you kill me ,you said bfore that you do made boot from floppy .

Select teh legacy floppy drive in Bios settings as a first boot device !

Teh outcrier

Make sure you really have format.com file on floppy !

Type

a:

dir for*.*

to see if you really have it

You must see in reply something like

Format.com size ....

If you do not have it ,copy it from win98 computer

Or I can put it on ftp for a dos version you

really have

in prompt type command :

ver

put here the reply that dos makes