Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

bullines..... i need help!!!

biss03

i tried reinstalling windows ME on that laptop we talked about. first, the floppy you had me make gives a non-system disk error when i put it in. so i tried to reinstall ME anyways. everything was going great until it went to reboot after the install. it says that setup is updating config files, but then i get a message saying :

windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2

%1:%2

it repeated tries to do the update and fills the screen with these errors.

what can i do. it never actually boots up ME.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~~~~~~~~~~

non-system disk error when i put it in

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was actually the hard drive giving you this message ,JMHO .

to boot from floppy you need to enable boot from floppy ,disable boot from hard drive and set boot sequence Floppy first in Bios Settings

HTH

WTHH

If you are going to reinstall....I wouldn't use ME....icky! Can you find / have a copy of 98? I'd run 98 before ME if you can run 2K or XP IMHO. ME is so buggy. Trying going to http://www.bootdisk.com and all the boot discs you'd even need are there...including ME boot disk. There also are many FAQs links there too.

HTH alittle....

bullines... Its a Dell Inspiron I2500 model no. pp02L.

brent... this was already discussed in great detail in a previous post so i'll give you the summary. basically it's my cousins Laptop and she is a college student with no money. so even the $100 to get the upgrade to XP is a lot.

Mayday... i wasn't able to format the drive because i couldn't get the boot floppy to work.

yes i can get into setup hitting F2. when i get to the boot page, its shows (in this order):

removeable devices

legacy floppy drives

hard drive

IBM-DJSA-210-(PM)

Bootable Add-in cards

cd-rom drive

intel boot agent version 3.0.03

i tried rearranging them but to no avail.

On start up while you getting this error make sure that it `s actually floppy works :

see the led lamp Must be lighted and specific sound of the f;oppy reading .

If that not happs, it means it is not floppy booting ,but something else like cd or hard drive .(you can see and hear which one of them )

I say you must select legacy floppy drive ,not removable device ,which are many others .

If the boot happens on floppy and you sure or

bad floppy or floppy drive or both

HTH

WTHH

PS Too pity I am on the other part of the globe ,I love this kind of things !

Floppy disks are not safe from damages and faults

Change your disk to some other good new one ,make brand new boot disk and test it on some other PC ,no matter what system it has (remember to set Bios settings )

If it will successfully boot and your laptop would not it means ->bad floppy drive .

HTH

WTHH

amazing...talk to you guys long enough and some of your genious rubs off on me. while waiting for your reply, i downloaded the original again on a newly formatted floppy and now i get a different error: NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart. pressing any key just brings this up again. i will also try getting the boot from the other links as well.