Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

G-Code to Geometry

wruedawg

I am not a regular Mastercam user but I remember a few years back when I could take G-code from another software and create geometry through the backplot command. I need to create geometry from Amada laser G-code. Could someone give me the steps on how to do this, if it's still possible?

James,

There are plenty of programs that have been around this place longer than me. It never fails that the machine it was programmed for is busy or has been junked or something and the job is hot. I find it is better to have anything that works rather than start from scratch.

James,

Old laser programs are easier to reverse post then to start from scratch. They are mostly just XY moves with no cutter diameter. Backplot creates the geometry of the flat blank that hopefully worked in the past for the brake tooling they have or it gives you a great starting point from what you are currently producing off the laser.

You create an NCI file from the gcode. Then backplot the NCI using the create geometry feature. I see it would be very confusing on most machined parts depending on programing style. It works well for us on laser programs. Probably works good on wire edm programs too.

Sorry,

I've been away. Yes I use the rpfan.pst. I will then backplot the file and save the geometry. You can then offset the chains the radius of the cutter to get the Part Profile.

Email/send me a program and I'll see if I can help you.

Glenn

P.S. the name of the file is ReversePost.doc

HTH