Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T creating an old logo

DavidB

Hi all,

A friend asked me if I could recreate some badges for his 1974 HQ Holden that he is restoring.

The badges are Limeted edition "25th Anniversary".

Other than drawing the Badge how can I get this into MC and machine it?

I searched some web sites in OZ but couldn't find it,I'll keep looking.

Could I take a digital pic or any ideas?

Thanks in advance. cheers.gifcheers.gif

What I have done in the past is this.

Get a pic, a scan, whatever. Do a few filters, play with the levels and some other tricks in photoshop to get basically a pure black and pure white pic. Since I assume it will be a logo this may not be needed

Insert the image into AutoCAD, then trace around the image with lines, arc, polylines or use the sketch command. Turn SKPoly to 1 to sketch is polylines. With a sketched polyline you can then use use the Pedit command and turn into a Spline to smooth it out more. Just an idear smile.gif

Look here I did this from a picture of my son and made a keychain. The otherside has my daughter.

If you only have a couple, get a digital photo or scan of the badges and email it to me, along with some basic dimensions for scaling. I will convert it into a Mastercam 9.1 *.mc9 file for you to carry on with. I typically use the raster-to-vector program add-on for Mastercam, but also have other resources. As mentioned by Brent, as close to pure back and white that you can get, gives the best results. However, I have also gotten good results from color pics - it just takes a lot more "fiddling" to get a good result. What you get back will be a 2D collection of lines and arcs that may require modification to make good machining paths (and make the actual end product).

David

Looked through all the books and manuals and could not find any pictures of the badge but it looks like you have got it under control.Thanks for the offer of the Solids book but i have been able to get a copy of it.

Did you have a look at the reply on the 5 axis post?

quote:

"Go Cats"

eek.gif

where did that come from?.

MAGPIES FOR EVER

Regards

Darren cheers.gifcheers.gif

DaveB, a good pic will probably work just fine. Probably don't need a scan unless you can find the badge in a book or similar publication. The more important part would be the actual dimensions (height and width would be the minumum needed) to properly scale it.

When you take the picture of the badge, try to get the camera perpendicular to the surface of the badge with lighting coming in over your shoulder - or at an angle to the badge. Get as crisp a shot as you can - as close up as you can. Try not to use a flash - it will "wash out" the picture and might even result in a lot of glare on the badge.

That will help to make a nice "clear" set of lines and arcs for the artwork.

DavidB

The converted IMG_0794.MC9 file is back in the same place as the picture file was on the FTP site. When you grab it (and are sure you have it) go ahead and delete both from the site.

The Yellow outer arc is my best guess of where to place the edge relative to the artwork - it seems about right, but the circular edge was just a little too muddy to capture well due to the angle of camera to the badge. However, the art came out nicely.

If you run a copy (or print onto a vellum) and compare it to the original and discover that it is "stretched" in one direction due to the camera angle, try playing with "scaling" the red lines portion in one direction to "unstretch" and correct it. I have sometimes found that necessary if the picture was not dead on perpendicular to the object being photographed.

Enjoy!

cheers.gif

Metal,

Thank you Thank you.

Can I ask did you use the MC Raster to Vector add on or use Brent's method?

It looks great Once again thank you cheers.gifcheers.gif

P.S I couldn't delete the files from the FTP site.It said I don't have permision.

[ 09-01-2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: DavidB ]