Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming a Mazak Variaxis 630

DIARMUID

Hi Guys

We have just installed a Mazak Variaxis 630 with Fusion controller, has anyone programmed jobs for these machines as it appears that I may have to set my WCS to exactly where the part is positioned on the machine table for 5 axis machining! So if the job comes back again and the job is set up in a different position, I may have to move my WCS and possibly edit my Z depths again, is this correct?? Or do I program my depths incrementally?

cheers D

I was programming the same exact machine for quite a while. I would always move the part to where it was located on the machine, then regen the toolpaths. You are correct about using incremental, when doing multi-axis I always use incremental for everything. Let me know if you have any other questions, I miss working on that machine.

From what I remember the variaxis are trunion machines with a rotary, correct? If so, typically you would pick up your machine zero at the intersection of the two rotary axis. Place your part on your machine. Place your part in Mastercam in relation to the origin just as your part is in relation to the intersection of the two rotary axis. I am not extrememly farmiliar with the 640 fusion but that's how it would be done on a typical fanuc equipped machine.

HTH

hi,

you guys must do it differently to my company. We tend to use a lot of jigs and fixtures which wont go onto the machine in exactly the same place the next time the job is issued again. We use G54.2 ( dynamic compensation ) in the post and all the operator does is set the new datum ( in the dynamic comp page in the work offsets )as he would with a 3 axis and the machine works out where it is in the workspace in all 5 axis.

Rob

Dave/Diarmuid,

I had a quick look before going home, and the only thing I could find is in the back of the Mazak programming manual. I will look futher tomorrow. A word of warning though, the post processor required to do this was supplied by Cimco, and it wasn't cheap. It is more suited to a medium/large company maybe???

Well if G54.2 offers dynamic datum tracking, you can just pick any datum on the part rather than intersection point of rotary axis lines, and use G54.2 in place of G54. Easy peasy. Not a huge change for anyone with an existing (and pimped-out) multi-axis post.

[ 09-17-2004, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]