Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming a Deckel

Greg Williams

Hi,

When machining parts with a Head and table 5 axis such as a Deckel where do you place the WCS in relation to the Job.

I have worked Trunion and table 5 axis machines (Mazak VRX and Makino V55AX) Style for the last few years and I know that on these the WCS go's at the centre of the C axis and the rotation point of the trunion with the job setup exactly how it sits on the machine, Then G54 numbers are these same rotation points in relation to the Machine home.

My problem is that I a little confused as to how to setup a head and table machine?

How does the tool length compensation work?

And where do I place the WCS in Mastercam and on the machine?

Thanks in Advance

cheers.gif

If your deckel has a heidenhain controller with a cycle 19 function your part can be datumed anywhere you like. eg if you set your datum in MC at the top and centre of the finished part then just set this as the datum on the machine. The machine handles the maths involved in positioning the table and finding its position.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

If my memory serves me correctly you guys have a few of these machines, Perhaps you may be able to help me with these as well.

Can cycle 19 be used if the toolpath has all 5 axis moving ay once?

Does cycle 19 essentally just rotate the co-ordinate system so that Z minus is still into the job? such as when using a 3+2 type of toolpath or does it do all of the kinematics as well.

Does the lot. If you are using a true 5-axis post it will spit out something like

L B+Q121 C+Q122 F MAX M126

The Q figures are the machines reference values relative to the machine datum so you won't need to worry about them. Cycle 19 effectively sets the "A" angle because the deckels have a silly 45 degree knee. The machine uses it and the BQ121 etc to set a workplane and re-define a datum position automatically. 5 axis continuous movements will start from a defined position but the x,y,z,b,c co-ordinates from then will be all over the place. Remember to cancel any and all datum shifts in the MDI before re-starting any 5 axis work.

Bruce

Onya Bruce!!!!

"Remember to cancel any and all datum shifts"

Isnt that like a heidenhein...you turn it on.. you gotta remember to turn it off....or it will bite ya ....my boss here wouldnt pay for the developement of this 4 axis post so i ended up making it myself...pain in the xxxx but hey i guess it was a learning experience...lol

If I might impose Bruce... say hello to Craig J. for me...I used to work with him at EGR....and we'll get his jig to him as soon as someone here gets it on the mazak...lol

Greg,

I just re-read your initial post and will add another clarification. (sorry) If you are using a true 5 axis post you will need to set the origin in the view manager to 0,0,0 for any new views that you create. This means that if you have a block 100x100x100mm and you have your datum in the centre of the top face the top of stock on the other faces will be Z50mm.

Bruce

hey guys you might be interested to know...DMG now has a service dept here in australia!!!!!!!!!!!!

The service manager just replaced the spindle bearings on one of our machines yesterday...name is Ian Dowling..MObile 0421 999 379...in case you have any troubles...Lotsa luck ")