Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Very Cool!!!

keving67

I found this while surfing another board.

http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/projects/ar15lower.html

I am seriously considering undertaking this project in the near future. I've been operating a fadal 3 axis for a short time now but I am new to programming with mastercam. Maybe some of the more experienced minds on this board could give some input as to which toolpaths he used?

Keving67

Reminds me of that Jimmy Stewart (i think ) movie where he is an imprisioned moonshiner and he invents and builds the first carbine style rifle while in the Big HOuse. Used a tractor axle for the barrel. Mwahahahahahahah.

Cool site. This would go on my "Things i gotta build someday" list

-Keith

Kevin67, do you have A LOT of machining experience?

I shot both M-16's and M-14's in the Marines (M-16 was the standard weapon. M-14 was used in match competition).

While the M-14 was heavier (about 30% more), it never, ever, not even once, in 10,000+ rounds I personally fired, jammed on me. It also had enough power to reach out and touch someone far away (I've shot the 1,000 yard line at Quantico, VA and kept them all in the black).

The M-16 A-1 would jam regularly. At 600 yds the bullets would sometimes stick in the targets that had been glued and papered many times. Also, the trigger on the M-16 just sucked. More like firing a squirt gun. I like a nice, smooth, crisp two stage trigger.

Is the AR-10 more reliable? My dream rifle would be a M-14 converted to a bullpup design (someone in Israel did it) with a titanium receiver to save weight. Shorten the barrel to save weight and overall length, but still be able to hold a decent (3") group at 600 yds.

Based on my experience, I'd rather had a high quality AK-47 than an M-16, but maybe the new M-16's have changed?????

Has anyone heard a rumor that a replacement for the M-16 is in the works for the US military?

[p.s. I like the new Baretta pistols, except for the 9m ammo, which seems weak. The old 1911 Automatic, designed by the brilliant John Browning, was reliable and would knock a mule on it's butt.]

Charles, they have completely reworked the fire group of the AR-15 to remove the burst and full auto capabilities. In my opinion, they are 10x more reliable and way more of a crisp break just because of fewer moving parts.

The new Army rifle is the "XM8 Lightweight Assualt Rifle".

It looka quite impressive actually. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...und/m8-oicw.htm

I forgot to congradulate the guy who did the lower receiver. Really nice work!

Love the M8!!!!!! I especially liked that they are not using a direct blowback system, which I could never understand (other than it was cheaper to make).

Now if they'll just come out with a .308 version wink.gif

"Unlike the current M4/M16 direct gas system with gas tube, the XM8 gas system does not introduce propellant gases and the associated carbon fouling back into the weapon’s receiver during firing. This greatly increases the reliability of the XM8 while at same time reducing operator cleaning time by as much as 70%."

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm partial to 10mm Pistols with High-Cap magazines. That has some real stopping power.

James teh Why'd you shoot the terrorist 18 times???... "Cuz that's all the clip would hold."

Charles:

I'm an old M-14 user also, and always have been a huge fan of it. I carried one for two years. I carried the M16 when I was in the Army in RVN. I didn't like it nearly as well as the M14.

I just saw an article in the National Rifle Magazine about a new version of the M1A-1, I don't remember all of the details, but the thing that I remember most is that it was shortened.

Jenks,

Yes, there is a shortened carbine version of the M-14.

I saw a short show on the XM-8 on The History Channel (Mail Call).

The new M-8 appears to be perfect in every way. This is a quantum leap over the M16 (aka M-4). Gas is not vented into the receiver (duhh!!!!!!!).

It's uses a gas and piston system.. similar to the M-14 so all the gunk stays out of the moving parts.

They claim 6,000 rounds between cleaning if needed, and it's about 1 lb less than the M-16.

The magazine is arched to follow the shape of the bullets, and transparent, so you can see how much lead you have left!

I heard a stat once (that I don't believe, but it could be true) that up to 15,000 US troops have been killed by jamming M-16's.

This is a hot &$!^ bad &%$(%&$^&%*&^ weapon. I'm sold. The Feds can raise my taxes to get it to our guys in the field early. cheers.gif

Looks like our guys are finally going to get the weapon they should have had 30 years ago!