Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What is the oldest

cadcam

I started with ver 3, dos of course. It's on a 5 1/4 floppy. Used it for many years. Even that old with no gui it was capable of many things. In the last couple of years I went to ver 7, and now 8.1. Wow, what a difference. Seeing what we have available now, I look back and wonder how we ever got things done in a timely manner with the old interface. But at the time we thought it was great and got along just fine.

Dan

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I have V4.x floppys, V6.13a CD, V7.0 CD, a V7.1 CD, 7.2b CD, a 7.2c CD, an 8.0 CD and an 8.1 CD.

I got started on Version 3 used it for about 6 months, then went to Version 4 for about a year, then I used version 5.x (the stable one) for about a year, then I used Version 6.13a for 2 years, then Version 7 for it's entire product cycle, and Version 8 since alpha (over 2 years). Beta 8 was so awesome, I stopped using 7.2c.

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

I started on v3.2 on a centroid controller.

I've seen this and that version kicking around but stayed away for fear of the copyright thing. Moved to mill55, skipped right over 6 and bought 7 the day it came out. Associativy rules and was something I dreamed of even while I was watching a strip of paper with holes in it pass by optical sensors that made a bridgeport go X Y. That's how old I am. Anyway, I upgrade legally every time a new version comes out.

I think out of all the most useable for my situation was 7.1, by 7.2 the tool library came ub alphabetically instead of by tool number and screwed up some of my routines.

8.1.1 is not as useable to me as 8.0, which posts out (custom post, started with ab8601.pst and evolved) differently than 7.x

which requires editing before running. Who is the custom post guru on this forum?

Jim

Jay

I don't have any early disks.

But if anyone has them I want to see them

run on an old pc at the tool show or something.

I was a manual mold maker since 1966 I was 11 I polished molds and swept the shop.We made patterns and traced them on panagraphs for aerospace parts.We used nc but it was limited because it wasn't worth the time to program or it wasn't even possible.We had a Gibbs and Gibbs himself would come to the shop every other day to help us program.Tom Shuller came in the shop and showed his software.Mastercam their was no version number. It just existed.It had no 3-d ,no lettering ,no projection ,no color monitor, (two 5 1/4 floppy no hard-drive)But the basic logic of the system and approach to work was similar to a moldmaker so it was easy to follow.

Then for 3-d files we used this method .Cadkey to draw cdl,Surfcam for inc then convert inc to nci so then post in mastercam their wasn't an editor inside mastercam so word was used to line up all the dec. points then simply send at the speed of light (600 baud) no tool changes to cut mold cavities.

Of coarse later version 2 came out with color

monitor, on a 286 pc ,with a 287 math chip, 1mb ram and a dot-matrix printer(what a rocket)

Today as then I use the latest and I

appreciate ------everything------- that the little sofware grew up to be.

Hardway

[This message has been edited by Scott Bond (edited 07-21-2001).]