Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming from machine zero?

specv

Does anyone do this and what is the advantage? I have to run a customers part and they require using their exact process. I can modify the program but the order of operations has to stay the same. I always program from part zero. So the numbers in the program are relevent to the part, that only makes sense, and i can run that program in any size machine. Now i have to shift this program and i need an editor that can handle this.

Does anyone know of an editor that can do this?

TIA

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Does anyone do this and what is the advantage?

The theory is quicker setup time with less human intervention ( by way of figuring out what the relationship is between part zero and machine zero and putting that number into an offset.) Some people think that if a human is typing at the control they can then potentially type the wrong thing. Where if you've established via your post processor the relation at that machine which your post was designed for, you'll never have to f#*k with it again or find zero at the machine with every setup.

quote:

I have to run a customers part and they require using their exact process.

quote:

Mcedit editor has a shift function under Ncutils

quote:

can't you just change the G54 in your machine??

Both solutions offered are fine. Mcedit can alter your coordinates back to part zero then you can setup the way you're used to.

Or you can offset out the machine coordinate difference from the zero point of the fixture.

Although the second option is faster or changes less lines of code, the first option would probably be better for anyone that runs the machine if you want them to maintain whatever sanity they have left. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

puff, puff, pass...

Programming from Machine 0 has got to be THE most retarded thing I've ever heard of in a machine shop next to Endmills that cut square inside corners. eek.gif The biggest problem with this is that if you don't have the same machine they do you're hosed. Even if it is the same, you're still hosed because every machine is different. It may only be .001 or .002 different but diferent is different.

They should allow you to use Work Offsets. It does not change the integrity of the part one bit as long as you don;t modify the program in any way. I've done work in Wind Tunnel Model Shops and we were not allowed to move the model, we had to keep it wherever it was in space. No biggie. I just created T/C Planes and went from there. Never had a single issue.

Nominal,

I agree with you partway, i dont know why they would not just program from the center of the pallet then. If they want to run this in another size machine they would have to repost. There just isnt an advantage for a jobshop to do this. Operators can look at my program and tell if there is an error in the code. They could not easily do it if they had to back-figure numbers to the machine zero.

It also doesnt help me that this program is in metric, or that there are no g43's to pick up tool lengths..lol

what you have there is a monkey program, you set it up and the monkey pushes the button. Not always a stupid idea.. there is a lot of monkeys around and they won't mess with your program..

but even a crash could screw up machine zero..

so i'd still put in the first g54 and maybe drill a hole in the table to always check your machine

quote:

Programming from Machine 0 has got to be THE most retarded thing I've ever heard of in a machine shop

ROFLMFAO and Crying at James

When I read the start of this I thought 'That's the stupidest f__king thing I've ever heard of in my life'

Glad I'm not alone...

C

From a cnc router standpoint I know that programming from machine zero has it's uses. I used to feel the same way as James does, till I run auto fixturing machines and multiple head with servo controlled spreads. I also use a custom post for a twin table machine that selects the left table for x- and right table for x+.

quote:

Programming from Machine 0 has got to be THE most retarded thing I've ever heard of in a machine shop

LOFAO!

I agree 100%

If you have to run the job from Machine Zero,

then you're set-up would have to be identical right?

That's stupid,just pick up a datum and slap in a G54.

One thing I can't stand is a customer that tells us how to run a job.

Because EVERYONE does things differently.

If this is a contract job,then you may be screwed lol.

its not that big, but i need to do each index (six sides) seperately with different shifts. I'am certain that it will do what i need it to do i just need to do the upgrade to pro.

Can you just shift highlighted text or do you have to shift the whole file?

------

Cimco ROCKS!

------

+1000 to that

quote:

In my case,all my verticals were fadals with machine zero at the c'line of the table. all my vises and fixture plates were on subplates and mounted relatve to this.

If your vises and fixture plates were located this precisely, why not just write the positions to a WOFS in the program [G10 or equivalent] and program 'normally'? Nobody says you need to edge-find every setup to use work offsets...

C