Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What Type of Machine to Use?

Mike@Dive Lab Inc.

I'm about to start prototyping a part we have been wanting to make. The part has 12 very small triangle holes that I need to cut in it. they measure 0.059 at the widest top width and taper down to 0.011 at the bottom point. The OAL of the triangle is .549 the wall thickness is about 0.040 thick. The part is round with a O.D. of approx 3.250. I am planning on making the first few prototypes out of brasss 360 and possibly a few out of delrin or noryl. What type of machine would you guys suggest to cut this feature? laser, edm ???

Thanks for the input

Mike W.

Sound like a wire job to me all the way. We had a guy here cut a Retangle 2" x 6" to a 2" circle on the Wire's we have here in SS and hold .0005 no problem. He of course is one of the best wire guy I have seen but being Brass ig might disclolor in the water but nothing you could not poish out with a little elbow grease. I have had Splines wired in 4150 HT at 32 RC and have the wire guy hold .0005 with no problem over 6" tall part. Water jet in my humble opinion is good for something but this I am not sure it would do what you want. We also maintain 24 or matter machine finish without alot of finish passes.

HTH