Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Peck drill cycle

L Hanft

I have been trying to use the peck drill cycle, but I must not understand something. If I choose the peck cycle MC gives lets me set the initial peck. If I choose drill #2, I can choose initial and following peck depths. Seems confusing.... but I guess MC will use the initial setting in "peck" for all pecks???? anyway.... at the machine I get strange things. If I use the Peck cycle, with 0 clearance, and 0.1 retract, stock top at 0.0, and a Z of -0.085 ..... The tool rapids to .1, feeds to first peck depth then rapids us to .1 seems to repeat its self with a second rapid to .2 and then feeds down for the next peck. As you can see a lot of ups and downs. Tried the incr. retract but that doesn't work as I would expect and I get a rapid retract to the .1.... so, I must be missing something. I thought>>>!! that the peck cycle would allow me to set initial and following peck depths and with incr. retract I could reduce cycle time and still get the job done. The constant "over retracting" consumes most of the run time........... oh yea... 1 mm drill bit 0.06 ss material.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Th eother thing to look for is G99. If there is a G99, it will always go to the .1 above the part. Use G98(I think) and this should do the trick. Though, if you use long hand, you'll get far bettter chip control but a TON more code especially if you need to drill a few holes.

Have you tried the chip break cycle? This cycle rapids to point R, feeds for the first peck, rapids out by the amount define in the machine parameters and feeds for the second peck. And so on until it reaches the bottom of your hole.

Hey James, the difference between G98 and G99 in a drill cycle, is the point that the tool retracts between holes. G98 = retract to initial point before canned cycle is comanded. G99 = retract to point R defined in the canned cycle.

Hope this helps

Your post may be set to use the G83 cycle for chip breaking - Modify it or use something to get the G73 Peck cycle with such a small tool and depth to drill (~2 X Diameter). This will save alot of rapid and feed time. The retract amount inside the hole is also a parameter setting inside the machine control and can be changed to minimize the cycletime.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ahhhhhh, sooooo, I see said the blind man to his three deaf children. I usually set my initial/retract height 1.000 above the part, then my feed height to .100 above. This explains the difference in G98 and G99.

Thank you Martin,

I have modified my post for each drill cycle to output a G98 Or G99 no matter what my initial height or retract settings are. The very last space below the "peck incr", in my post, either select G98 = 0, G99 = 1. This is very handy. No matter what I am doing, I always want my tool 1" above the part before anything happens.

My suggestion/opinion. Simple modification to your post.

Trevor