Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MILL9 EXE

Doug G.

Doug G,

What are the specs of your computer? Like O/S, Processor, total RAM and Video card? Are you Backplotting surface toolpaths or 2-D stuff? When Mcam was installed did you temporarily shut off any virus scan software? Did you contact your reseller and see if they could help you? As Bullines suggested, we need a little more info to be able to pinpoint what is going on. HTH biggrin.gif

What's the date for the video driver? Basically when was the last time that driver was updated? The Quadro chipset works well with Mcam but if it hasn't been updated in a while, it could still be the cause of this issue. Try changing the DB and Tp allocations to say 32,000. Stick with the same serial numbers as the memory chips themselves. I've found this usually reduces potential conflicts with memory allocations. It's generally recommended not to exceed approx. half of the total RAM when allocating memory for use in Mcam. Whenever you adjust allocations in Mcam, you shouldn't have any geometry files open. Select File-New and do the adjustments after the screen is clear. HTH biggrin.gif

quote:

video card= nvidia quadro nvs with agp8x (64 MB)

quote:

The Quadro chipset works well with Mcam but if it hasn't been updated in a while, it could still be the cause of this issue.

The NVS line is aimed at corporate business use (Ex: spreadsheets and PowerPoint, other 2D apps, etc). They are not CAD/CAM/DCC cards.

Doug G,

I just read Bullines last reply:

quote:

The NVS line is aimed at corporate business use

This is most likely the culprit. I'm using a Quadro FX 500 card which is designed for CAD/CAM engineering applications. Certain commercial and corporate type video cards are not suited for CAD/CAM applications because they require higher graphics processing. See if you can exchange the card for one that will support CAD/CAM, such as the GeForce FX 5600 or better, or a Quardo FX 500. An alternative would be to turn the hardware acceleration down until you no longer encounter this issue. That doesn't always solve the problem and it's a "band-aid" at best. HTH cheers.gif

We've been getting this on a regualar basis when doing a dynamic rotate with mcutils. It started after the latest Maint update. It doesn't happen consistantly, but it does happen often. The machine was also formatted before the update. I'll have to check the video drivers.

Thad

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum. First let me say "Boy, what a great resource".

I'm experiencing the "mill9.exe has encountered a problem" also and am running the course trying to find a solution. Here's some details:

Dell Precision 360

P4 3gHz

1 gig ram

Win XP Pro SP1 (sucks...want W2K back, IT won't let me)

Nvidia Quadro FX400/500

I'm running MC9.1 SP2

I also run Pro-E and some other software for our RP machines (3D Printer, FDM)

I've played around with the acceleration (as suggested by our local reseller) and that kind of helps the crashing in MC but really bogs down the Pro-E

I've also shut off all the "fancy" graphics crap that XP has (fade menus, shadow mouse, slide taskbar, etc.,etc.) hoping that helps. I have the acceleration set to the almost off setting which really kills the Pro-E (Wildfire actually). If anybody has any suggestion or more info on this (anyone else using Pro and MC??), I'd like to hear 'em. Thanks to all senior members and admins for a lot of great info.

Al Gavett

Rapid Prototype Engineer

TSP/Sensormatic

Boca Raton,Fl

Hi Steve,

Not sure at the moment but will have IT checking into it. It's a fairly new computer (just a few months old) but may still have older driver. Do you know what the latest version is? 6.1.7.6 is what it says in device manager. Also I made a mistake in listing what type of card, it says Quadro FX500/600. Thanks

Al

Thanks Steve and Doug,

IT is going to get the new drivers. I already have the allos set to about 50% to utilize as much of that as I can without crashing the memory hungry XP. I haven't had alot of problems in the past couple of days with the acceleration turned down but it really slows down Pro-E, so I have to change settings if I'm working alot in Pro. I'll have to see what happens with the new drivers and will pass on any findings. Until then I'll go by the good ol' "save often" rule. Thanks again.

Just as an update to this thread the latest drivers from nvidia didn't solve the problem either. Looks like leaving the accelerations down is about the only option for now. Really sucks to have a good graphics card and not be able to utilize it though. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Al

Al,

I'm using that video card (Quadro FX 500) on my system here at work and it's at full acceleration with Mcam allocations set to about 1/3 of my total RAM (128Mb database, 256Mb toolpath). My O/S is Win XP Pro, SP 2 and other than the initial firewall and virus protection stuff, I happen to like it better than Win 2K Pro. I am using Mcam V9.1 MR0105, the latest release for Maintenance users. I would ask IT if they can update the O/S and make sure it has all of the critical updates installed. You may have to disable the Windows firewall if your company already has one for access to the internet but that's not difficult after installing SP2 for Win XP Pro. HTH biggrin.gif

Hey Peter,

I'll check with our IT guys about the updates. Are you running a P4 processor on a Dell system? Was it a OEM card or after market? I'm just wondering if Dell does something funny with the OEM cards. I know the do with the sound cards 'cause I had that issue on my home PC with a SBlive card. They say it's a SBlive 5.1 but it really isn't. Anyway, that's a completely different topic, but I would share with folks if they want to know.

I had a P3, 512ram, Geforce card, W2k, and didn't have any problems before. IT upgraded (new workstaion) me to this system and I started having trouble. First it crashed on a simple 2D pocket when the "optimoze tool burial" box was checked. I contacted our local rep and he said to "turn the acceleration down". That works for MC but bogs down Pro-e. I was hoping to find a simple solution but I guess there's more to it than that. I also tried turning off the "enable write combining" button but that didn't help either. Any otyher sugestions, directions etc., would be much appreciated. Thanks

Al

quote:

I'm just wondering if Dell does something funny with the OEM cards.

We have a Dell OEM cards in all of our Precisions; a mix of Quadro4 XGLs and QuadroFXs (some AGP and some PCIe). We have no problems with them at all on WinXP Pro SP2. I always use the latest non-beta Forceware drivers from nVIDIA, not Dell's drivers.