Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids ?

Rob B

I need help with drawing a solid. I'm trying to learn this solid stuff as I come across different jobs. My boss thinks I should be drawing everything with wireframe and surfaces. I disagree because what I have read here on the forum. I can draw a simple solid. It's when I need to really start to define a lot of detail to a drawing that I get lost.

I have posted a drawing on the ftp site. It is located: solidsrob.mc9

As you can see I have drawn the part using wireframe. Can some one draw it with solids then post a step by step how they created the solid.

I can then redraw it for myself. By looking at what you have posted as step by step directions and studing the solids manager maybe I can learn something new.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Storkman, you know that's how I did it to.

I think it was even james M from this board that said to do that as I said I need to get a grasp on this solids.

He said here is a few copys of the project from the solids books just do them.

That really helped me over the hump.

this was also like 4 or 5 years ago not to long ago.

Stork,

I will agree about hands on inorder to grasp what is going on. Do you have the MC solids book or are you using samples that come with MC software?

I have the FMMT multimedia software, but it seems to general for me. Maybe I'm trying to hard to get a specific answer to my problem and not looking at the example in general and how I can apply it to my part.

email: [email protected]

Just got your email Storkman. I will be working on this the next couple of hours while I keep My 3 machines running and programming my next job.

I think I get how you said to do the drawing. I haven't used the loft option. That might be my only problem.

Rob, a good way to review the solid modelling process that another person has used is to look at the "tree" in the solids manager for a solid. This will provide all the steps that were used in constructing that solid. With most complex solids the last several operations will be fillets. Most solids are easy until you need to apply the fillets. There are some basic rules like start with the biggest fillets and work down to the smaller ones when possible. Good Luck

thanks stork.

hey rob,

how long did it take to draw the wireframe?

I think to really appreciate the use of solids you should put some fillets on this model and then compare the time difference.

consider 10 minutes to make this drawing. now put fillets. the time to fillet with wireframe will probably take longer than the drawing. the fillets are almost automatic with solids.

a few projects like this and i think you will be sold on solids.

I agree with these guys. Learning solids is all about building solids. You learn by doing.

My fascination with solids started with AutoCad and man I thought it was really cool stuff back then. Then I was blown away again when I started working with SolidWorks. I'm self taught... probably a lot of guys here can say the same.

The way I learned solids in a nutshell...

1) Buy books on boolean solid building. Building solids in AutoCad for instance isn't much different than doing it in Mastercam.

2) Anything you see that looks like it'd be a good challenge to model.... model it!

3) Open solids and look at the history tree to see how they're built. Although in many cases, especially at my last job, that may tell you how NOT to do it. Some of these were so sloppy it was hilarious.

Good luck with it and if you get stumped, ask questions. Part of learning.

-Chuck