Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CMM data into Mastercam

John Giess

Looking for some input on using x, y, and z data from a CMM and converting it and utilizing it in Mastercam. We have a Brown and Sharpe Gage 2000R CMM with digitizing capabilities. We wanted to be able use the data for reverse engineering applications. We have a Haas VFO and are starting to use Mastercam. We can capture x, y, z data from it (point cloud data) using HyperTerminal mode in XP. The machines vendor sells software to convert the data into an iges file. I'm told the file is still point data and not a surface. Is an iges file of point data all that Mastercam would need to make surfaces? Any recommendations on other software we should be looking at? Also, any input on different methods of transferring the x, y, and z data into workable surfaces?

Also try to get in contact with your local re-seller. rtfaq.gifheadscratch.gif Mastercam is working on some cmm software that is suppose to cover stuff like file conversion. also utiliziting your VF0 as a cmm. then transferring info back to Mastercam. cheers.gif

Thanks for the help. The search for revsurf did give me some help. Not sure what revsurf is, but I'm sure I will know at some point (just starting with MC). Billy I may take you up on your offer. I don't want to invest in software until I know what I'm getting into!!!

Thanks for the comments

John

I've been using an older Mitutoyo CMM and the ASCI to disc function to reverse engineer die steels and punches. Just dump the file to Excel and strip out the crap, save, and import to Mastercam with the ASCI converter.

It's still just points but cheaper than a special converter.

If you use the ASCII converter with your point data, you can then create splines with which to create your surfaces. I have used this method to program roll and form dies off existing ones that have cracked or broken. It works great.

Laszlok;

I suppose the format has a lot to do with what machine you're dealing with. Mitutoyo (at least ours)is as follows;

A Line Number

B Line # in CMM program

C Name or type of feature

D Number of points to create element or if from memory

E X

F Y

G Z (X,Y,or Z may be zero if you are projecting!)

H Diametre of feature, etc

I Runout of feature

Your CMM manual should have a breakdown for each type of output. Or just use some controlled trials and decipher from there.

As mman10 said, adding lines or splines to the points is the ticket.

Hope this helps.

Just as an after thought,

If you start using your CMM data, you have to be careful about what dimension you are actually using. On our machine, a "Point Compensation" tries to compensate for probe diametre and the direction of axis movement to give an accurate point on the theoretical edge of the feature. This is fine if your dealing with features running mostly along the machine axis. Curves and arcs become inaccurate.

To fudge past this error I use "Point" which gives the XYZ for the centre of the probe not the outside edge. Then, once into MC, I put probe diametre circles around each point and use tangent lines one to the next to give my points for the spline creation. Defintly more time consuming but a whole lot more accurate.

Think of this as a poor man's digitizer.