Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Special Gage Blocks

chris m

Any help on this one would be appreciated:

I need to have a couple of special gage blocks made to use for setting masters and I'm having a bitch of a time finding somebody to make them.

Here's what I need: [1] block 3/4" or 1" square by .3148 thick and [1] block .3940 thick. Blocks need to be Class XX [.00005] precision or better.

Starrett quoted a stiff price and long lead time, Mitutoyo was similar....

Any experience with this would be helpful

C

well Chris,

got anyone around the shop thats used a lapping plate before? I have made some years back. its not that difficult, just takes time and precision and a dam good indicator. infact we made some from ceramic that stuff grinds and laps nice with diamond wheel. just dont drop it wink.gif

I am with Murlin, "I would add", make several at the same time in case you blow one, since they are simple shapes, to save time you can put them on magnetic parrallels to save grinding entire chuck, we hold 50 mill and we are nothing special, using standard Harig grinder. Watch the heat....linear coeffcient of expansion

Chris if you send me a sketch I'll show it to

one of our grinders.

quote:

if it just needs a cert, why not make it in house, and have an outside A2LA gauge house certify it? You get your NIST traceable certification, and you don't spend thousands making it

I would think this would be a good alternative. headscratch.gif

Some of the best grinders around, I see no problem.

PEACE biggrin.gif

CR I thought about that but we have a bad history of guys setting the gage to zero when it should be +.0002 or whatever; I'll take the beating of a couple hundred extra bucks now vs $10K in scrap later...

Thanks for pointing that out, though, sometimes I CAN get too close to something and miss the obvious.

C