Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using Mcam with generic EZ path machine

n00bie

My shop is considering purchasing mastercam. At the moment I'm doing double duty in two different shops, one with Mastercam and one that's decidedly low-tech and just beginning to consider stepping into CAM.

I'm trying to convince the boss at the more primitive shop that it's a good investment, and I think the best way to do that would be to generate a program at the high-tech shop and bring it over to demonstrate (both shop owners are cool with this, so no conflict of interest).

Problem is, the main machines in the small shop are dated Bridgeport/Romi EZ-Path lathes. We're in the process of purchasing a Mazak integrex but I'd like to show the boss what Mcam can do with one of the Bridgeports. I've scanned around and found practically zero information about these types of units, and I'm wondering which post to search for. I'm not in a position to get a custom post yet (until we purchase Mcam for the small shop) and I'd really like to try this out.

Anyone have any ideas on post to use for this application? I'm more of the CAD guy that works pre-CAM at the big shop so I'm kinda retarded when it comes to this. Please help!

Ralph

You think they will? I just assumed that it would be a sort of infringement or something. I was considering contacting them and telling them the machine, etc, and if they'd work a post up for it, leaving out the detail that it was for a different shop, but honesty would win me over. I'll give a try, thanks!

Oh in no way. I had my dealer sit down with me for hours and help me make a hot job back in Florida Jim Gamble is his name and he is a good one. Charles Davis is our dealer out here and he has helped me and our company in many ways sharing and giving ideas for different thing. Dealer do alot not just the sale even though they get a bad rap sometime for the most part everyone I have met and dealt with as been perosnalable , professional, and willing to help those in need and willing to go that extra mile if you need it. Will there be some that say I am smoking something sure will but this is my stroy and I am sticking to it.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I know when I was working for the local reseller, when doing a Demo, I'd program an OP for them, post it and if they wanted, run it. (Only a couple of shops took me up on that - not many shops have a machine idle) Not the whole part, just a fixturing to show it's power, how it works, etc... Got me quite a few sales. Most dealers will put out whaever effort is required if the potential customer is serious about a CAM system, not just toying around.

Heck yeah call your reseller. They maybe even might have a dialed in post for the machine too making it all that much better.

HTH

I'd say Mastercam is the way to go on the Integrex. I only use Mazatrol to bore soft jaws on our new one.

Going from EZ-path to Integrex is a HUGE step, at least 10X complexity.

I usually try to be optimistic, but just from re-reading this thread, I think an Integrex is going to sink Low-tech Inc, unless you hire a very competent guy with solid experience with both.

Get Mastercam lathe going first and see how they handle that.

Integrex = large learning curve. Mastercam mill level 3 + Lathe = another large learning curve. Heck, just adding milling to a strictly turning guy is a learning curve.

Doing them simultaneously in a shop with no experience beyond EZ-path = disaster.

Make some Integrex guy, doesn't have to be me, an offer he can't refuse to come and look at what you have going on.

Just my $.02

I believe that our Dealer came to our shop, programed a simple part, posted with generic post to machine, made small edits to post processor, then we ran it on the machine. IMPRESSIVE, we now have about 20 seats of MCAM with wire, router, solids, lathe. I think that he more than made up for the 4 - 6 hours he spent here showing, talking, and explaining what MCAM could do for us. He has always helped us when needed for anything.

Always, Always contact your dealer. If you don't get the responces you feel you desearve, then I would contact MCAM directly and explain what the problems are the you have with your dealer.

JM2C

Glenn