Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Where does one go after CNC programing?

I often wonder the same thing.

Where does one go after programming. I have had many companies actually deny my employment ineterests because they felt I knew too much.

I started out writing G&M code by hand simply from prints on DesignCad LT of all things. Responsible for all my own setups and fixturing.

I've been using Mastercam for a little over 3 years now and the last time I applied at an Aerospace shop, they basically told me I had to pick either applying for a programming position or a machinist position.

I've always felt how beneficial would it be for a company to have a guy that can make the designs and print. Generate code from those designs, make fixtures and setup machines for the part in question and finally produce a first artical, without ever having to pass off anything to another person or department.

All I've ever heard is, "that's just not how we do it".

Think of all the complaining and finger pointing that could be avoided. No more machinists blaming problems on the programmer and no more programmers blaming the engineers. Would all this be possible in a perfect world perhaps?

So what's next? I don't think I'd mind being a full time programmer but I enjoy being able to see a part through the entire process as well.

That is one thing I like about here. I am the guy in charge but I get out there and make my own fixture, my own set-up proff out my programs and run the parts through all the way sometimes. I have my desk right in the middle of the shop people need to ask me something they can come ask. No door no locks not a thing between and me. I liek that I can look over and see if someone needs help. I can hear the machines cutting and tell if they are doing a good job or bad job just by sound most times. I still go met customers, or do quotes, or answer calls but not one of 2 that can do the programming we have abou 6guys here that can do stuff so I do hard stuff and do help out in a pinch stuff. Keeps me in tune with what the people on the machines need and shows them I do not consder myself above anyone.

My 77 cents worth biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

+1000 to Crazy cheers.gif

No place better to think than to the sound of the machines biggrin.gif always believed in the same values.

My brother and I have come to the conclusion that from where we are in our careers that if we are going to learn anything next it will be how to handle our money and make it work for us. Then we can have our early retirement and work for ourselves on what we want. You can educate yourself anyway from Sunday but it all comes down to how you want to spend your time.

Make yourself happy if possible!

Just remember, the sippie cup is always half full!

quote:

I've always felt how beneficial would it be for a company to have a guy that can make the designs and print. Generate code from those designs, make fixtures and setup machines for the part in question and finally produce a first artical, without ever having to pass off anything to another person or department.

That's why I'm retiring next month. Can't handle the "separate person with title for every little function" concept I have to work under. Stuff seldom gets done well or on time, and it's very frustrating to be forever dependent upon some dork with a big title but very little knowledge or ability.

For what it's worth, I got a degree in Geography and THEN got into machining and programming. The specific knowledge I got from studying geography obviously didn't help me in a machine shop, but having the degree opened the door to several interviews that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

Hell, I just gave my 2 week notice yesterday. I think I'm doing everything backwards - got my MechEng degree, worked for a consulting company as a road xxxxe in nuke plants for 2 years, came to this current small company as a "he's a bright kid, so we'll toss everything his way and he'll figure it out", and learned CNC programming, ISO, QC, machining, etc, to where I design and machine the new parts, and then pass it off to an operator once it's tweaked right... Finally, leaving to make my part time side job designing/fabbing Camaro parts full time. Now or never! Anyways, I came here not knowing much about machining or CNC, and really enjoyed learning and getting good at it.

I guess where you go depends on your personality and what you want from life. If your goal is to get rich and retire early, then go into finance. If ya can't stand paperwork, then don't wink.gif With the knowledge you get from designing the CNC programs, you understand efficient ways to design parts for manufacture. Getting a MechE degree, and going to design the parts seems like a natural progression. With your ability to do the programming and machining, I'd think it's a huge asset to a company, since you can go from idea to prototype on your own. You can also be a supervisor, and babysit other folks smile.gif

I've never been much for the supervisor role.

Since I started working in Machining/Programming I've thought at least once a day about returning to school to earn some sort of degree. I don't know if I am one of the few in the last generation to make a good living at machining or without having a degree or some formal education.

I was lucky enough to have a great mentor that wanted to teach me not to mention pay for all of his tooling I broke the first 6 months.

I'm 27 now and am already wondering about someone that is more educated and didn't have to go to work right out of school coming in and taking over one day.

So what is there to do? I've heard of Mechanical Engineering. Manufacturing Technology. What other areas would there be to study that are involved in what we do?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hey Dave,

Cal Poly Pomona is right down the street from you they have lots of Mechanical?anufacturing stuff, as does Mt. SAC.

HTH

Everyone here on this forum has seen a job that could have been designed/marketed/made better. Why not use your knowledge to design a new product or improve an old one? Why must we always put all of our energy into making money for someone else? I am currently in the process of patenting a couple of things and have a couple of manufacturing companies sniffing around already. Put some thought into it and it will cost you less than setting up your own shop, but the financial returns on a licensing deal can be HUGE.

Bruce

---------------------------------------------

Everyone here on this forum has seen a job that could have been designed/marketed/made better

---------------------------------------------

+1000 Bruce. My Brother has been in the Machine Business for just over 20 yrs and was getting fed up with the B.S. Along comes a poor inventor knocking on his door and offers him a partnership in something that he made better. 1 year later and they have a product that's generating interest from Sears, Black and Decker and QVC. They just havn't decided who they want to licence it to yet. They are going to be at the National Hardware show in Las Vegas in May. Take a peek.

www.twist-lok.com