Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining raised panel mdf doors with sqaure corners

danfec

Thanks for all response. Exactly, what I'm doing, I machine my doors with two V-groove, a 30degree inside and a 45 degree outside with a flat in beetween. What I'm trying to is to square the corners of the outside v-groove as much as possible. I think I have to use the same 45deg v-grooving tool and start at the bottom of my groove and go on a straith line all the way up to the upper part of the groove by giving a x,y,z point reference. The problem is that I'm not real good in mastercam....that's a very simple thing to achieve for most of you I'm pretty sure...We have Mastercam Router by the way, so no 3d.

quote:

when you finish with the 45 in the corner just take an 1/8" bit and cut about 1/32-1/16 deep around the top of the 45 deg and it will look really square

Exactly! I run these MDF panel doors 2 shifts a day on a Onsrud and use the same technique for the corners.

Iron Chef:

Take a look at our website; http://www.wood-mode.com Look under "Style Options" and most of our Brookhaven I line is MDF doors.

You will see several Raised Panel MDF doors on the site that you probably can't even recognize as being MDF. With the right processes in machining and finish, MDF doors can look just the same as a Solid Wood raised panel doors.

If anyone would like more info on machining MDF door styles, email me. I can supply the cutter info that we use in more detail.

cheers.gif

dkintzel.

I am "The Iron chef" when I post from home.

I Looked at you work web site. It looks like you make a very nice, well made and high quality product. Your answers in this thread were very helpful. You showed a real understanding of the problem and creativity in solving it.

My answer was based on my recent experience with rebuilding a ~150 yr old door in my house.

BTW i love your avatar. It is really amusing.

-Keith (The Iron Chef)

Keith,

My specialty is high-end wood millwork machining. It is all I do and know when it comes to cnc work. I would love to share alot more info while I'm here at work, but time doesn't allow alot of that lately or hardly ever than more than a quick reply to a thread. This is why I ask for anyone to email me specifically if they would like to pick my brain further. I will gladly share my drawings, designs and tool library to any fellow forum member. I may need to work on a request after I put my 13 mo. old to bed at night, but I will answer any request to the best of my ability.

I too have recently worked on the doors in our 1826 home here in PA. I have successfully recreated all the doors and mouldings that match the originals. Maybe I have a program that would make your work easier?

Let me know If I can assist!

cheers.gif

My New Years resolution was to drop the stress and be a better forum member!

Hey George!

Cool who you run into on this forum.

When I came here to Wood-Mode, they were at the time purchasing all of there MDF doors and a few other odds and ends parts. I was hired to put a CNC operation into place here and are now machining all of our own parts in house.

What type of machines do you manufacture?

Myself and one other individual have built 8 other specialized CNC units ourselves. Maybe we can swap thoughts sometime?

wink.gifcheers.gif

dkintzel,

At some point I would like to link up with you via email to pick your brain on a few things. We do very much the same kind of work you do only on the left coast. I have only had about 4 years CAD/CAM experience, largely Trial & Error self-taught. I do have over 25 years background in high-end woodworking, however. We don't do a lot of MDF doors and those that we do, we outsource. We're running MC Router V9.1MR0105. with a custom made 4X10 2 head CNC Router. We also use CabinetVision for cabinet nesting/design. I'm much more proficient at that than with Mastercam. At some point I would like to get the Engraving package. I have made some toolpaths utilizing a ramp-in/out with a V-groove bit to simulate the square corner look, however it seems that for nesting MDF doors this would be a lot of programming. I like your 1/8 bit corner clean-out method. It's so close that it's almost negligible.

Craig:

Nesting MDF doors is a lot easier than it seams. The approach that I have taken after a LOT of trial and error, is to:

(1) program one door not a nest of doors;

(2) Save it to a part library with tooling on seperate "properly" named layers;

(3) Use ATP in Mastercam to automatically set up your nested sheets.

Save your nested sheet files and you never have to re-program your doors again! wink.gif

Plus, any new door designs you may come across, you simply apply your layer names to the new MC9 file, process through ATP and Bingo your done.

Learn to use ATP for MDF parts. It is simple to learn and use and the rewards are a HUGE time saver.

Contact me anytime, I'll do my best to help.

cheers.gif

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone, I have been researching how to clean up my corners on mdf doors and found this thread. I need a little more detailed help.

I'm using Mcam Router v9.1MR0304 and a Thermwood Model 40.

The tooling I have is the Whiteside #5720 slant raised panel tool, #5610 inside edge tool and a #1570 Point cutter round over for cleaning up the corners.

I have read this post but I'm having some difficulty. I'm weak on drawing in 3d and I have never used the ATP function. So this will be a valuable lesson. Can someone please email me instructions?

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Chris Robinson