Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Billet Suppliers

dgriffiths

I'm not sure about the west coast. Here in the north east I always use Yarde Metals. The 7075 will giv you good results but it is a little more expensive than 6061. Some people find 6061 to be gummy and others just love machining it. We use 6061 for all of our work primarily due to price.

Future Alloys in Simi Valley is our best supplier.

Alum alloy selection depends on usage (and cust req)

7075 machines very well and is the strongest alloy, but prone to cracking in certain situations. I don't think you should make wheel rims from it.

6061 is good all-around choice for corrosion resitance, machines OK but not the best.

2024 is very good all-around choice.

There is much good info from suppliers and the Metal Handbook on aluminum. Do some research, start with supplier catalogs.

HTH

Thanks for the quick response guys. I will be machining a thermoforming tool with 2 sliding peices to relieve a negative on the part. As far as the alloy goes I can really use whatever I want it to be. It just has to last for several thousands parts. Again thank you for all of the input!!! cheers.gif

I agree with Bernie on the 7075. Personally, I like 7075 better than 6061 anyways, it's harder, and cuts a better chip, whereas 6061 will be "stringy" and have a tendency to "smear"...esp on mold/surface work. Your better off with 7075 for that job, it sounds like.

Thysenn Krupp is selling 6013 now, which they call a "better machinability than 6061, chaper than 7075". I tried some on a run of smallish (8x8x8) molds, and thought it was ok, nothing great. However it did'nt really "smear", lke I've had 6061 do on some surface work.

Also, depending on how severe the useage of your molds might be, you might want to think about getting them annodized or hard annodized. Also you mentioned sliding parts? Annodizing will help surface wear big time.

m2c

oh, for 7075 I like Reliance (see above #). Good cut tolerance and great service and delivery. Don't get an extrusion, get plate. Although with that size you will probably be in plate territory anyway. Tell Bruce Chris from Speedymoto refered you. biggrin.gif

TSTOM, You ain't seen anything till you've been to the Yardstore. Lots of surplus stuff from the big aircraft co.s. They've got several quanset huts out back that they don't even know whats in. We used to buy most of our tooling material from them, but the last couple of years they've gotten pretty pricey. On some things, we've been able to get it cheaper from a regular supplier. It is handy though, we've got someone in Wichta 2 or 3 times a week delivering or picking up parts from the finish houses.