Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dies cutting

mig

Hi All!

I have to cut Really complicate die from P20.

Before I made them from aluminum. Size approx 32 x 10.

Deepest place approx. 0.019 inch .

Tolerance +/- 0.0005

Cutters have to us 0.01-0.025 dia.

Rpm – 15000 max

Anybody has experience for this kind of job?

What cutter coding the best?

Thank you an advance

Regards

Might look at a speeder for your machine. I would also have it heat treated and just hard machine it using the proper tools. I am thinking problay 30,000 to 37,000 rmps with .0002 to .0004 chip load should do you just fine would look at .002 to .0035 depth of cut. Would problay leave .0012 to .0007 for finsh pass might do 2 passes depending on the finish you are lookign for. I like the dry method wit ha air blast with a little mystery oil in there just to keep stuff from sticking as well. If you have only the 15,000 then back your feeds per tooth to maybe half of that.

HTH

Wel I will elt you in on a secert slower the rpm for some tool the more wear you get. The idea is to get the feed rate and surface speed where you have no toolwear becuase you are using the coating at the perfect place. I have taken carbide endmill and run them for 75 hours straight on 316 SS no problem why because I was at the perfect speed and feed. So fi you get that tool at the perfect zone toolwear is not the problem machine accuraccy is the problem.

HTH

Ron, I have been looking at those for awhile with some stainless [17-4 and 15-5, 32-36Rc] slotting jobs I have in here from time to time. Are they that good across the board for you or just in certain applications? I know the guy from West Coast Choppers who used to come in here from time to time said they liked the Varimills a lot but I've never heard too many other guys talk about them; I'm interested in what your experiences are.

C