Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

making a curved & tapered solid

El Scotthead

Hey all,

this is something I've been trying to figure our for a while now. We mold severel strain relief boots that are basically cones wrapped around a radius. (I still can't access the FTP site, or I'd post one there frown.gif ) I'll try to explain it as best as I can--picture a cone with a 0.500 diameter at the big end and a 0.250 diameter at the small end. Now bend the cone, smoothly, around a 1.5000 radius. This is an example, but the sizes are typical.

There are surface models available for some of these things, but not for others. I'd like to be able to cut the electrodes from solids--I just can't seem to figure out how. If for no other reason, I want to do it just so I can say I know how. Has anyone else tried this? Any success with it?

Scott

I would suggest creating a surface (coons) and flat boundary on the ends and convert it to a solid.

I created a 1.5 dia. circle in top broke it at mid point and del other half. Front view created .250 dia at one end and .5 dia at other end and created coons. Flat boundary ends and solid from surface. I have used this for cashew gates on some molds. Different sizes of course.

Yes I just did it and it was very easy.

Sweep arcs around center arc..... cap ends.... solidify.....

Too bad you can't acess the FTP or I would put it up.

Well I will put it in the solid folder for anyone else interested.

Sweeparc.MC9

Hrm too slow...... bonk.gifcheers.gif

Lee,

I was thinking that at first, but the geometry being created here is really not a big deal. My impression was more like "what's the best way" more than it was "how". Actually I look at the first post and see that he DOES want to know how.

The plus to your way is I believe you can do that in solids right away. The bad thing is that he'd need to do more calculations to get to the finished product.

It's another example of the many ways to skin the cat with Mastercam.

I was actually hoping I was missing something because it's such a basic shape. It's a great question really.

Paul

Once again guys,

great response. The thought of creating solids from surfaces never crossed my mind. bonk.gif

Kannon123,

quote:

Are you having problems just drawing it or are you trying to put a path to one you already have drawn?

Problems drawing it as a solid. I've toolpathed probably 10 of these things from surface models. That part of it fairly straight forward.

Lee,

quote:

Did anyone think of lofting a series of arcs already set up in the correct space?

I've tried it this way. However, it's very time consuming because you have to create MANY arcs to loft so you get a somewhat smooth finished solid.

I agree with Paul--a taper option of Solids Sweep would be sweet. I would make good use of it smile.gif

Thanx again everybody.

Scott cheers.gif

A question.

In the solid camguy created, he has the center of the two circles aligned up with the 1.5 rad arc. then sweeps the solid along the 1.5 rad. If the question was how to wrap the cone around a 1.5 rad is not the wrapped cone too small and shouldn't it be the inside edge of the cone that follows along the 1.5 rad?

I don't work much with solids but I do come here and try stuff to (hey thad biggrin.gif ) try to learn something new every day.

Also when I try to create,surface,sweep,pick the two circles as across contours,done, pick the 1.5 arc as the along contour, do it. I get a twisted surface. Where did I go wrong?

Phil

[ 05-12-2005, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: PhilCott ]

Phil,

I think it must have something to do with start points on each contour,try to see where the arrows are in relationship to eachother, those points above all will be lined up by the surface, so if they aren't in-line, so to speak, you have to change the start point of one of them. If that doesn't work for you, you can try breaking the arcs in to an even amount of entities and then sync by entity.

Let me know how you make out.

Lee,

I am sure you are right about the start points. I have been playing with it and am getting come really distorted results. How would you normally pick the circles? I am picking at the same spot on the circle but get a twist.

Phil

Edit:

I got it be breaking the two arcs in two and selecting in different spots. Cool.

Lee,

Are you busy at your shop? What part of town are you in? I used to live off of White ave. and the road that turned into the highway south (can't remember the name). I got my start at a shop there called Galaxy machine and manufacturing. I ran a burgmaster cnc drilling machine. That was around 1978. I bet a lot has changed.

I've two sisters that live there that we come out to visit. I'll look you up when we do.

Phil