Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Home made Pods

routerman7030

I am assuming that you have some kind of "grid" type table. If you have round pockets, try pvc and turn the bodies to size and face the lengths to what you need. I dont suggest milling these. Do them on a lathe as they will be much more accurate.

If you have a square grid table, lay the tubing or whatever you have to confine a section of the table for a pob table. You can build this out of MDF, but I would look at a paper-based phenolic if the fixture is going to be used over and over.

If you need help with vacuum type fixturing, post and ask more questions. Many people here have experience in that area.

Here for my products, IMHO is the perfect router table. I designed this about 3 years ago. It is a grid table, pod table, and I also have a vacuum manifold on the side of the machine. For the pods I had a machine shop turn me some pvc that would fit in the circular cuts on the table the pods also have on o-ring groove in each end. The yellow plugs remove for vacuum from the bed. Sory I can't find a picture of the actual pod, and I no longer work for this company.

Picture402.jpg

Thanks Trevor, This table worked very well for us in the furniture factory. I could process panels off of the pods, or vacuum down a fixture on the grid table and use the manifold for vacuuming the part down. I also used the pods to locate the fixtures. I had a laser projector for locating panel stock. It was a killer set-up. BTW the T-slots in the table are for a rotary device that I used to turn & rope post and do other machining that I could chuck between centers. I will post a picture of the rotaries.

Nice setup Travis.

I had to make my own pods on a grid style table because the operators couldn't stay off of the aluminum ones. Our tooling guys loved us for awhile there. Ended up making them out of white nylon. I duplicated the bottom of pod to fit in the grid and modified the top to accept a piece of 1/4" rubber cord. Cut cost by 85%. Bean counters love that stuff.

We make our own pod tables from 1/2" sheet of aluminum based on NEMI tables bolted to top of our stock grid table and use their pods. Great tools but terrible quality IMHO. We made some of our own pods to hold a set of double arched rails for 5 piece doors. Can't find any of my pics right now. I also like the Carter Flip pod setups as well.