Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids newb question

CRFJim

Hi, Guys

I just got a great opportunity dropped in my lap, but I need a bit of help. Our programmer recently left, and I was handed the job a few weeks ago. He left me his files and programs, and they run flawlessly, but I'm having trouble with my solids. I can get away with 2D stuff most of the time, but I'm out of my element when it comes to toolpathing solids. When you choose a surface/solid to toolpath, it asks for a drive surface, and check surface. Where do I pick for each? BTW, I'm using MasterCam 9.1, any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

jim,

drive surfaces are the faces of the solid you wanna cut, the ckeck surfaces are the faces around what you picked to cut. the ckeck surfaces contain/restrict your tool to the surface you want to cut. you can use a chain of geo around the surface you want to cut as well

also, the blue ? in the upper left of the top bar is a very handy tool. when your in the cut portion of your operation click on the ?. or when your in the left menues and you have a ? click on it and it will go to that part of the help files that deals with that particular menu your on.

welcome to the forum smile.gif

where in norcal bro ?

Jim,

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

If you look in the following folder, there should be sample toolpath files in there.

Mcam9MillMC9Samples

Play around with them--try changing parameters to see what happens(remember to save each to a new file BEFORE making any changes).

And if you still have questions....well, you know where to come for answers smile.gif

HTH

scott

Thanks again, guys. Even though I've got a couple years 2D experience, I still don't feel comfortable with solids/surfacing toolpaths. Since that's my weakness, I'm trying to learn during parts runs since I'm also the operator. As far as where I'm at in NorCal, it's about 6hrs north of San Jose, in Scotia, Ca. It's not exactly the hotbed of CNC info, as you might imagine.

Jim

Jim,

IMHO, If you know what you want to machine on the solid, then try this.

First Create surfaces from your solid.

When prompted for Surfaces to machine, choose All / Surfaces.

This way your not complicated by Drive and Check Surfaces for the time being. Drive surfaces are check surfaces by default.

Use a boundary to limit your tool, this is self explanatary.

Use height restrictions in your CUT DEPTHS box.

I always use absolute depths, this way I have total control.

HTH.

quote:

When prompted for Surfaces to machine, choose All / Surfaces.

Why not choose the entire solid, instead of creating surface? The only time I create a surface is to extend the untrimmed surface (we call it a parent surface that is created blanked out, when you create the surface from the solid) to get the cutter to run a little farther than the solid is.

HTH

Glenn

Part of the problem I'm running into with my particular solid example is that a portion of the part would be done quiker with a flat endmill, while another part needs to be done with a ball. The way I'm trying it now is to turn the solid off, then toolpath a portion of the original geometry, doing it with a flat endmill. Then I wanted to toolpath the convex part of the part (does that make sense?) using a ball and flowline rough/finish to get it done. I'm also confused on the proper use of when the little box that is used as a cursor on the screen. Do I click on it when its a flat, 2D box, or when its a 3D, geometric-view box? Hehehe, I told you guys I was new at this! biggrin.gif However, since I've discovered this forum, I'm absolutely amazed at the wealth of help here. Thanks a bunch, everyone!

CRFJim

When you see the 3d box you will be picking the whole solid, When it is a 2d box it is a face. And when it looks flat it is an edge. If you toggle the edge, face, solids from y to n, then you will not be able to select that paticular feature of the solid. I usually change the edge and solid to n so that I will only pick the faces that I want. I also will use a bull mill to do cuts similar to what you are describing. I get a better finish on the bottom using a pocket toolpath and then whatever surface path works best. This way there is no cutter mismatch in the bottom. You can also use the contaiment boundry to run the cutter in the surface program onto the bottom a little bit.

HTH

Glenn

P.S.

Lee, I have always felt that solids machined better for me as a general rule.

JM2C

So if I just wanted to machine a filleted edge, for example, I could just pick on that part of the solid and toolpath it without having to cut the whole thing? That would be great for doing rounded edges, I use a 45 degree chamfer tool for doing regular flat chamfers, but there are times when a rounded edge is needed.

quote:

So if I just wanted to machine a filleted edge, for example, I could just pick on that part of the solid and toolpath it without having to cut the whole thing?

Without seeing the part, I can't say for sure. But yes, that is generally the case.

If you have a fillet in a straight line, try a Surface-Finish-Parallel and only select the fillet surfaces/faces as drive.

Could you put the file on the FTP?

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif You're asking some good questions.

Thad

FTP,

That is an online server hosted by Cadcam, it is available for all emastercam users.

If you look at the top of your forum page you will see a link for "Cadcam's FTP site"

You can use Microsoft Internet Explorer to navigate it or many of us use Filezilla to navigate his site

You can download it from here Filezilla

Thanks to Bullines for the link

For more info as this topic has been covered extensively you might want to try a search on FTP.

HTH

quote:

Ummmm...what's the FTP?

Señor Juan covered most of it.

You could upload a file that you're having trouble with. Someone can download the file, make the necessary parameter changes, and put it back on the FTP for you to download. It's a very useful tool.

Thad