Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Radius'd Edges

Putzalutz

Hey all, I am new to the forums, as well M/C. I was thinking ahead about a job that we need to do on a piece of square Alum. (2.25" x 1.125" x 1" thick). I want to put a .25 radius all the way around the top edge, but have no radius tool to do it. How can I mill this?

I know, I know, maybe a dumb question, but hey...

a 1/4" radius cutter is not that expensive, but if you wanted to do it without it would depend on what level of mastercam you have. I have level 1, and to do what you are asking I would use a 2d swept toolpath using a ball nose or bull nose end mill.

quote:

Buy a corner-rounding cutter, you'll get a better result than you will with a swept toolpath and it'll be a hell of a lot faster

We typically run a 2D swept at around 150 IPM. I doubt your radius cutter will do it in that kind of time. Not to mention, when the next job comes in, I can cut *any* radius size you want without having to go out and buy another tool to do it. wink.gif

And that's on a Fadal! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Thad

Use Main Menu-Toolpaths-Next Menu-Wireframe-Swept 2D.

The across curve will be the radius, and the along curve will be the curves that are tangent (all the way around the part) to the TOP of the radius.

BTW, CNC Software, that's where a lead in/out would be nice! wink.gif

Thad

• 2 years later...

quote:

has lead-in/out been added to (x2 mr2 sp1) 2d swept
surface
?

I'll assume you mean swept toolpath and say no. I highly doubt it will be. The wireframe toolpaths were used prior to machining surfaces. We're lucky that they've been kept in the software. I'd still like to see it though.

Thad