Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

hourly wages

highrevtrev

Trev and others,

If you decide to look for another, and find a better job don't look back. I will give you a brief history.

Started in a production shop in '87 at age 22, work there until '92. Learned to setup run CNC machines. Learned to hate it loading parts and begining only a # at a large company. Went out and done some odd jobs for 2yrs and missed machining. I knew I could program and run job shop parts if given a chance. Went to a small job shop and got a job. Was paid a whooping $7.50 hr. Didn't take long before I realized I could do as much or more than most of this guy's employee's(who were making $10 plus. I work for 90 days got .50 raise. This guy was straving me to death. I waited a couple more months (at this dead end job). I then ask for a raise. I was told there was no money to be had. I started to look and the word got around to the forman and owner. Next week I was given a raise. It was a WHOOPING .05 thats right a nickel. You talking about being PI$$ED OFF, I was!!!!! But this gave me more motovation than anything I had ever had.

I found another job. I gave my notice, and the owner asked how much it would take for me to stay. I told him it wasn't about the money, it was about the principle. If he had the money to give me a raise at this point he could have done the same 3 months earlier. I also knew if I stayed and this guy had someone else come along needing a job, I would be fired. Then the job would be gone and I would be scrabbling for another job.

As it has been said here. If the people you are working for apperciate what you do for there company. They will let you know. A lot of times this doesn't mean money.

I now work for a small company that is super to work for. We don't have all the benifits that the big companys offer. But we also don't have all the big company BullS#it to deal with. I can take a couple of Friday's a month off to go to coin shows. The only thing that is ask of me is to make sure the machines are setup and ready to run.

I guess as was said before it isn't all about the money. But, if this peice of S#it owner that you are working, sounds like the guy I worked for, doesn't want to pay, move on and thank him for the motovation to do better.

My thought is you should be making at least$14-16 hr in my market.

I started at $5.00 per hour after taking a one year course in CNC programming, minimum wage at the time was $4.50 ~ the fork lift driver was paid $6.00 hr with one month’s experience. As cheap as I was at that time I enjoyed that position most of all the places that I worked.

As the years go bye they just seem to move along a lot quicker.

I have never requested a raise nor have I made it the deciding factor for remaining with any company. For me it’s always been about learning and self satisfaction by overcoming a challenge.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

trev,

This place is prolly about 100 mile away but will give you an idea......

Camtech Precision is hiring!!!

JOB TITLE: CNC MILL PROGRAMMER/OPERATOR

DUTIES:

The ability to perform part and print drawing using MasterCam Version 9 or similar programming software.

Experience with set-up and running CNC Mills.

Experience using Internet file transfer, AdobeAcrobat and MS Office.

Analyze specifications, lay out metal stock, set up and operate machine tools, utilizing the proper cutting tools, jigs and fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools.

Study specifications, such as blueprints, sketches, models or descriptions, and visualize product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts. Compute dimensions, plan layout, and determine assembly method and sequence of operations.

Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances, using measuring instruments, such as dial indicators, gauge blocks, thickness gauges, and micrometers.

Examine and recommend design modifications regarding construction and function of parts; develop specifications from general descriptions for specialty tools and draw or sketch design of product.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Prior programming experience preferred.

PAY: $15.00 TO $25.00 per hour, DOE

PLEASE: EXPERIENCED ONLY APPLY

quote:

As the years go bye they just seem to move along a lot quicker.

man, that's the truth Jack. Watching these three teenage boys of mine growup gives me an heightened since of that. cheers.gif

quote:

I have intrviewed guys that tell me they have 5 years cnc experience. I always ask what G00 means and M06. They look at me like Im asking a trick question.

I had one guy ask me what the sine of 45' was rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

If you are young develop the attitude of "pay me what I am worth, no more no less". You will probably learn more if you move around some and there is some stress and excitement to moving...I started in the trade at minimum wage and after I got older and had moved several times and started a small shop I asked the first shop owner wasn't I underpaid when I worked there??...His answer "you never complained" Good luck and learn to push yourself to excell.. end of sermon