Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Max. distance for RS - 232

5 AX

Well I can tell you we here go a little more than 100 and we have never and any issue with signal loss. We run off of the DNC at times an as of yet have not had a problem.

Now one place I worked at years ago, they ran their cables a little to close to the flurosant(sp) lights and we suffered occasional dropouts there.

HTH

I've heard something like that before but not sure how long is too long. I remember reading some where that shorter is better and that there is a point where data may be lost. If I can find the info I'll post it. Sorry that this isn't specific help but thought you should know that yes it can be an issue.

It depends! If you running in a "clean RF location" vs a "noisy location". It also depends on baud rate, type of handshaking or protocol. In some environments you can get 200+ feet. In others you might struggle to get 76 feet. Use high quality shielded serial cable, and make sure you have both ends grounded. Where you can get into trouble is where the computer and machine controller are using different grounds. This creates a "ground loop" (bad), which acts as an antenna and makes a nasty mess out of data transmission. The 75 foot number is where the square digital (on/off) signal pulse starts bending into a sinusoidal (like analog audio) waveform. Depending on baud rate (speed) the bit spacing varies proportionally. When the controller or computer can't discern a zero or one bit.....you are hosed.

Just for grins

With good common grounding (no ground loop) on a bet, I got 200 feet, 9600 baud (.01 delay) with 2 wire speaker cable. NOT RECOMMENDED

For short runs in a EMF clean environment (no arc or spot welding or electrical switching equipment)at lower baud rates 99 cent store phone cable works fine.

But with modern CNC and high density code, for reliable high speed communication fully sheilded, no ground loop high quality cable connection is the minimum. Signal boosters may help on longer runs, however the old computer next to the machine suggestion, networked is 100% and essentially free as even kids wont touch old processors.

Quit drinking: easy done it thousands of times

C.B.