Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tools for the Library

Mct010

I noticed for some time now that the tool library has its limits, do you all have to draw up tools to add to the TL or say does for example, Dura-tools have all their tools for MC users to add to the TL?.

If the supplers don't provide this, do you spend weeks drawing up what your shop has or gets?

I did a search here for this info and didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance

Mike

When I crerated my library initially, I added a bunch of tools I used regularly.

Then I added a new tool when it came up as I went along.

After about a month or so I had probably 75% of my library defined. It doesn't take long to define a tool and save it.

I now have a quite full library and only add new tools once in awhile.

Take the time and define your own library. In the end it will one of the single best things you do for your MC seat.

We don't use anything exotic, so a tool library was simple to create. Mostly the same diameter tools with a different corner radius. I only have the drill sizes that we use (ream drill, tap drill, etc) in my library. While my ops and tool library are complete, they're still kind of a "work in progress." Add as you go. smile.gif

Thad

Yes, add them as you go and keep it organized!

This can save you tons of time if you spend the time to build it. I dont know if there is a right or wrong way to do it as long as it works for your shop; Did I say keep it organized? You still need to set the tool parameters up to how you remove stock. I dont care what my Iscar rep. says about how great these 928 inserts are. If I ran them to his specs, we would buy about 10 times as many, and thats what he wants because he gets his percentage, Right? Soooooo....I wouldnt want to use what the manufacturers recomend for speeds and feeds anyway. Maybe tool definitions, but thats it. Besides, is your shop going to have every cutter thats made by them? Probably not, so put them in as you go, you would be suprised that you only use about 10 cutters on a regular basis anyway. Keep it organized.-----Good Luck! cheers.gif