Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reverse Chain In X

somename75

I have always hated having Mastercam reverse my cutter comp direction when I need to reverse a chain. Many times I get ahead of myself and chain something in the wrong direction. Is there a way to toggle weather or not Mastercam automaticly reverse my cutter comp direction when a chain gets reversed?

somename75,

Are you using X or V9? In X I just tried Reverse Chain, and it keeps my cutter comp on the correct side biggrin.gif [EDIT] what I mean is, I went around the outside of a shape, hit reverse chain and it stays outside.

In V9... oh... umm... mine is doing the same thing! I just did a contour op around the outside of a square, went into the chain manager and hit Reverse Chain. When I regenereated the path, the toolpath is still running around the outside! You're saying that yout toolpath would then cut on the iside right? I thought it did that too. Maybe this was fixed at some point - I'm running MR0105.

[ANOTHER EDIT] I've just noticed (when you mentioned counterbores) that this does not work the same way if you are chaining arcs. What I did above was with a rectangle.

I was refering to versiion X. What I would like to have happen is for left cutter comp to be the default. What I mean by that is if I chain something in the wrong direction and then reverse it, I would still like to climb cut, meaning that I would like the toolpath to flip between the inside and outside of a boundry while always staying on left comp. I hope that makes it a little clearer.

Yeah, got ya...

I went off on a bit of a tangent I think!

Left comp is the norm, so lets say I chain 6 arcs, but I get no.4 in the wrong direction and it machines outside the arc. If I go to the Chain Manager, select no. 4 and Reverse Chain, when I regen no.4 is now machiing inside like all the others.

I only get the problem you are referring to if my toolpath was only on one arc. Then if I reverse the chain, the comp gets reversed like you say.

There is a work around here... before you select any geometry, go to the Chain options. In there is an option to force CW or CCW chaining. For you I think you would want CCW, rather than the default option of using the position of the cursor to set the direction.