Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Start / Stop a contour @ a point

kathy

Okay guys, I need help!!!

I want to start a contour at a left side point location, machine to and around a contour, than exit the cutter at a point location on the right of the contour. I have both the entry and exit locations as point entities, and have chained the geometry as 'chain point 1, chain 2, chain point 3'. However, the tool moves to the first (left) point, cuts to depth and to the contour, machines to the end of the contour, than feeds back to the first point, rapids up and rapids to the second (right) point..!! I don't have any problem if I want to start and stop at the same point.

Thanks, Kathy

Kathy Richardson

Mfg. Engineer, CNC Programming

Applied Aerospace Structures Corp. (AASC), Stockton, CA

phone: 209-983-3203

fax: 209-983-3375

• 4 months later...

Need to bring this topic back up to the for-front!

Is this going to work the way it should in V8.1? I had two parts this morning where I wanted a dovetail cutter to exit a panel edge a a pre-defined point.

Thanks, Kathy

------------------

Kathy Richardson

I got kathyric's file and the problem is for real, even in V8.1. The only way we could get the toolpath she wants, without extra geometry) was to turn off use exit point (in the Leadin/Leadout dialog) and use the toolpath editor. We tried using reference point but it retracts before it moves to the point (the same as what you get if you just chain the point). Note that the context-sensitive help (using the '?') on 'Use exit point" on the leadin/leadout dialog says "Uses the last point chained before the toolpath chain as the exit point for any exit lines/arcs"

This is part of a bigger problem that we still feel we need to resolve - confusion over handling of points in chains vs. retract points, vs. entry/exit points. We hope to clarify all this in the next release.

Sorry, but your left with making extra geometry, or editing the Operation, in order to make this work as desired.

ProductDevelopmentGuy

Bummer!!

Thanks for trying anway...

Kathy

What else would be really neat would be to have both a perpendicular and than tangent lead in (vise versa for the lead out). I like the idea of the angle lead in too.

------------------

Kathy Richardson

• 1 year later...

I'm bring this topic up to the front as I still see a strong need for resolution.

I would like to extend this capability to being able to use an exit point in a pocket. Right now I'm machining pockets in core where the tool is buried under the material while cutting. Instead of retracting the tool up and rapiding to the start point for the start of the final depth pass, I would like the tool to stay down and feed to the start point.

The good new is that I'm really getting good at toolpath editing! biggrin.gif

Kathy

we got a ghost in the machine here? or what!?!?! Boy thats an old post! eek.gif

Jim You can use the Stock To Leave function or Comp in the machine. Kathy never said if tool diameter was defined. 0.0 dia tool will cut on the line as will No Comp in Computer. However, no Comp in Computer will cause difficulties use in Leadin/Leadout. Defining

0.0 tool Dia. makes it hard to back plot and to Verify properly

-Keith

[ 12-11-2002, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Keith L. Graydon ]

We define the tool dia and use compensation in computer. This forces the tool c/l away from the defining profile by the tool radii. The guys at the machine do not compensate for tool ware - the NC program controls the part configuration. Sometimes I will bump up a profile to the top of the tolerance to account for under-sized em's (O-flutes are usually .002-.003 under).

This of course is not the question in this thread. 90% of the time we use non-bottom cutting tools and I use a pre-drilled hole to determine entry lead-in. If I have a woodruff cutter buried inside a panel, I would like to lead-out the exit of that tool at a pre-drilled spot!

Kathy