Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

One MCX file to rule them all...

dwsz71

I was just wondering how many Mastercam X users are completing, or are planning to complete part programming within a single MCX file?

By this I mean that if a part requires a Lathe program, a Mill program, and (eventually) a Wire program, how many people are going to use one MCX file to do everything?

Have you ever hit save and have mastercam crash and erease everything but the file name. I have and now we backup to external hard drives every night. Storage space is so cheap these days.

Our wire seat is seperate from our mill seats and its not good to have two people working in same file at the same time.

I like to save original file, steel file, electrode file, and wire file.

Carl

• 2 months later...

quote:

I complete jobs in 1 MC file.Lathe ops then milling ops all in the 1 file.

So do I. For me it was more of a convenience to handle (store) part files this way. Naming conventions were driving me nuts prior to the implementation of X. Besides, I figured if there was only going to be one application, there might as well only be one directory, and one MC_ file per part. It's been working pretty well. A couple of glitches, here and there, but it works.

I did find a couple of things I couldn't do while experimenting with this feature. Like renaming Toolpath Groups with the same name as one used with a different Machine Group, was a no-no. Originally I was using the Toolpath Group (1,2,3, etc.) name to distiguish set-ups (1,2,3, etc.). And even though it is quite normal to have a Set-up = 1 for turning (Machine Group 1) and a Set-up = 1 for milling (Machine Group 2), Mastercam didn't like it too much. So I opted for a LATHE OP. 1-1/MILL OP. 1-1 approach which is working out better any way. I also applied this naming convention to my WCS(s).

I thinks it pretty cool to be able to complete multiple machine ops. in the same file.

I agree with Dave here. Create a new WCS on the second, third or whatever op, make it active, set your toolplane to top for thaat WCS and do your toolpaths.

Once you set tool paths on a WCS, if you translate the part to a different position your toolpaths all move because they are in reference to the WCS tool plane they were created on move your part and the reference to that origin has changed.

Learn to use the WCS, it is your friend.

cheers.gif