Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Beginner Q's & Fadal Post Q's

woodcutter

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to mastercam X and this site. We just switched from an archaic 2D cad/cam software and i'm just now messing around with mastercam for the first time. We are currently bringing in solids and using mastercam for toolpaths. None of the examples in the reference guide or the getting started guide are of much use for adding toolpaths to solids. Does anyone know of any books or videos that might help. I've made a few sucsessful toolpaths but would really like to know all the tricks.

Also I'm having trouble setting up a postprocessor for a fadal 3016. Again being new to mastercam it doesn't seem like the getting started manual covers this very well. Am i going to have to write one or is there any available anywhere? I'm really supprised to find out that mastercam only comes a few fanuc posts, when I know surfcam comes with many generic posts.

Thanks for your time, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

Contact your local dealer there are posts for Fadal's that are working good posts and there are alot of post avaiable but with X it needs to go through your dealer. Asl books are everywhere do a search and will find many books out there. Charles Davis has a good one as well as Mike has some CD'd so there the your budget is your limit where as there are classes avaiable through your dealer and also some tech schools as well.

BTW welcome to the best place to get Mastercam help on the planet.

quote:

who is mike that has the cd's?

His username is "Mike Mattera from ShopWare Inc." They are usually up on ebay too.

I highly recommend the Mastercam Handbooks by Charles Davis (from San Diego Cadcam).

If you see any books with the names "Lin and Shiue" on them, turn around and run as fast as you can! biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

Thad

Alex,

I gather that from your message that you weren't running V9 and that you went right into X. The V9 install cd's had many post that were good starting points. There were both format1 and format2 posts for Fadal so it would depend on which format you have your machine set up for. We have a 40-20 with the 88hs and use the format1 post. I didn't have to tweak it much and it updated to X just fine.

Al

Welcome masterp! cheers.gif

Go here to check your current hasp.

At the top of the page you will find a HaspInfo program link. Download that and run it and it will tell you if you have hasp3 or hasp4. (You probably have 3 wink.gif )

Then fill out the form and send it and you should have your new sim in a few days. biggrin.gif

edit: Thad teh beat me to teh punch!! eek.gif