Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter Comp

Jeff the haas_guy

quote:

I also thought the entry had to be at 90 deg to use cutter comp

Controls respond to cutter compensation in many different ways. In some cases, the tool is not fully comped until the end of the command it was turned on in. For example, if you turn on cutter comp on a line, the machine will start cutting the line on the centerline of the tool and compensate during the cut. In this case, the tool isn't fully comp'd for until the end of the line. This would be 'worst case'.

For me, because of this, I use an entry AND exit line AND arc on my toolpaths if cutter compensation is going to be used. It is absolutely safe, and absolutely tangent.

I am running through this again because Thad's comment seemed to contradict what I was saying. It's probly just me misunderstanding his comment, but I just wanted to be clear.

Paul

Personally, I hate wear. I really like to use full. I can then look at the code, and see reasons for errors at the machine. When you set zero's at the same point as the print, you can then read the same dim's in the program. It is a great trouble shooting method to see were the error of the part is.

JM2C

Glenn

quote:

I am running through this again because Thad's comment seemed to contradict what I was saying. It's probly just me misunderstanding his comment, but I just wanted to be clear.

Paul,

I think we're on the same page. The main point I was trying to get across (amongst my ramblings biggrin.gif ) is that most "unconventional" methods will work if you're careful (have the clearance) and know the capabilities of the control.

Personally, I use perp line and arc to turn comp on/off.

Thad

For me, because of this, I use an entry AND exit line AND arc on my toolpaths if cutter compensation is going to be used. It is absolutely safe, and absolutely tangent.

Paul

Can you tell me what the arc is for in the tangent entry?

I tried both ways today, wear and control, and there dosen't seem to be any difference.I think I prefer control comp so I can use a variety of regrinds if necessary.

I like to use wear on all finish dimension that can be measured and adjusted and computer on all rgh tools. I have had to many time where a rgh tool was over adjusted and finishing the part. The old "I keep adjusting the tool but the part does not change" statment. Course I have worked in mostly union shops.