Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

100% cpu with Mastercam X

stickgc

Before someone says this has been done to death read this thru.

We are using X on a PC with an Intel 2.0G processor, 1gig of ram using XP Pro.

The CPU pegs to 100% and the problem seems to be the fact that XP is not allowing Mastercam to use more than 300 meg of ram. I haven't been able to find any documentation on Microsoft or anywhere else explaining how to give a program more memory usage.

I have changed the percent in the mastercam setup to 75% for how much memory will X use while doing nesting (or some such thing).

anyways thanks for the help and remember you were a beginner yourself one day!!!

GC

to my understanding XP will allow up to 2 gig ram allocation to a particular application. I have been running X for almost 2 months and have yet to see the cpu close to 100%, even if I check during toolpath processing I haven't seen a max. Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen it yet.

You probably know more about this than I do. I have been watching the task maqnager a lot recently and have been trying to improve performance as much as possible. I have XP home. I made a few changes but I don't know if they really made any difference.

System - advanced - settings set to performance.

Setup I turned on Hyperthreading.

Accoustic mode I changed to performance.

These might not apply to your computer but just in case...

stickgc

I have the same components as you and if I try to

face or contour a simple circle or rectangle drawn

in X the processor goes to 100% and stays there

until the toolpath is computed three and a half

minutes later.I have no problems on surface toolpaths or curves created from a solid.In ver 9

the same thing takes a couple of seconds.I've tried

killing every process,and every video card setting,

I've tried different tools all make no difference.

I've sent files to my reseller and they can't replicate the problem,so it must be hardware.

I'm running SP1,I tried reinstalling and still the same pre SP1 as with the service pack.

My video card is a Nvidia geforce2 MX400 not a great card but would a video card make the processor go to 100%?

Any suggestions I love X but can't use it

Roger

I do not know if this matters in CAD/Cam but the old Pen 2.0 where 100 FSB. In gaming this makes a HUGE differnts. I have had friends that on paper their PCs should be fast but with that 100 FSB they seem to hit a wall. Almost the same setup with a 2.2 (the next gen P4) will run circles around the 2.0. Sorry I do not know the details im a AMD dude.

Sorry, I should have added a bit more info. It is a P4 and it jumps to 100% anytime I try to save a part or when I am nesting parts. IT slows and takes about 5 minutes before it finishes. There is a bit of work to do but I wouldn't think it would take that long.

I am going to look at that hyperthread answer on Monday since I am off to Pigeon FOrge for my daughter's wedding.

Thanks all for the info!!

G.C.

I think the 3.0 was the first P4 that came standard with HT. Nesting should run your PC at 100%. We have a nesting program thats nothing to do with mastercam and it maxs out a newer P4. This program has been around for awhile. What now takes less then 2 minutes on a P4 2.8 would take 30 minutes on P3-300

Yesterday I was creating a surface using 2 rail sweep. The along rails consist of several tangent arcs.When sweeping the across chain along the rails and rhe rails were not parrallel I noticed that while it was "breaking up the contours" my cpu went to 100% and it took long enough that I aborted that attempt. I than broke up the along chains into smaller segments which took no time at all to create the surfaces. I have never seen the cpu more than 54% when runnung toolpaths.

MIll 9.1 SP2

Pentium 4 processor 530 with HT Tech

3.o GHz, 800 FSB

Quadro FX 1400

4 GIG Ram

One note on the ram; when I went from 3.25 gig to 4 gig I did a test on regenerating toolpaths on a fairly complicated part. The 3.25 gig took 4 min 28 sec. The 4 gig took 4 min 21 sec on the same part. In that particular instance there was not a lot of time savings for $137. But seconds seem longer when you are waiting.

OK Here is what helped. Still not seeing the amount of memory usage I think I should have, and the CPU stil spikes quite a bit.

I finally did msconfig and found a number of duplicate tasks being started in the startup menu.

This was from a recovery that performed on the PC before I started working for this company.

Once I removed those dupes, rebooted, everything worked speed wise like I expected it to.

thanks again to everyone who took the time to read and advise.