Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

nc file name

Jim at Gentex

Building Molds... We don't store ANY .NC files. We only care about the geometry. (.MC9 .MCX files). headscratch.gif Soooo if the machine control (Which is pulling the 0 from somewhere) defaults to a 1.NC I wouldn't mind! biggrin.gif

Seriously in my .NC folder I have 1.NC 2.NC 3.NC... We are constantly overwritting these files. If we have to make repairs to a mold or something we just POST what we need. biggrin.gif

quote:

So far, all of my bitches have been addressed and on the fix list.

headscratch.gif Damn... I only get one! biggrin.gif How do you have so many? biggrin.gifcheers.gif

quote:

Building Molds... We don't store ANY .NC files. We only care about the geometry. (.MC9 .MCX files).

Amen Brother!

I overwrite NC files all day long. I only care that the NC file matches the file name. The file name = the job or Mold number. I work on different molds throughout the day.

'machine_group_1.nc' doesnt cut it.

yea I get a little ticked when someone carrys the attitude that I want everything out of the box to conform around my way of doing things and screw everyone else.

quote:

I don't care if your files, or the files of the 12,000+ other forum members are named correctly. I only care about MY file names.

Case closed.

Terry,

You missed the point...again. So I'll try this one more time.

CNC Software took a feature that worked great for a lot of people and turned it into a useless feature for everyone. All I'm asking for is to put it back the way it was. You act like I want it to default to Z:JobsCustomerJob numberdetail number. That's you blowing it out of proportion.

quote:

Case closed.

Oh, like you could give rat's a$$ how my files get named. But I'm the selfish xxxx. rolleyes.gif

Thad

Thad, I totally agree with you. It is not just having to type the name but to remember to do it. The file name and the nc name have always defaulted to the same name. I am used to that for 7 years. It saves me time. I not only have to program, but have to set up and run the job, inspect the job, and find the file 2 years from now when I do it again. So now that I am trying to use X it is a constant irritant to have to manually type the name for the nc file in addition to creating a new path to be where the MCX file is located (saddly no more setdir). I need to spend my time getting the job done and not sitting in front of a computer and being distracted by this constant inconvenience.

I suspect that near everyone is changing that nc name now (in addition to the path) and if it defaulted to the file name then those who want would still be able to change it.

So, CNC, at least you can help the bunch of us who want the same as filename and not hurt anyone else.

Terry,

I do not get a paycheck.

So, every second does count to me.

I get paid when the customer sends the check.

The amount of money I make is totally dependent on how efficiently my time is used.

If I was getting a paycheck I could afford to be less concerned about a few seconds here and a few there.

What is a small thing to one person could be something quite else to another.

But thank you for your opinion it helps to reinforce my opinion about efficiency.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Boys, boys, boys.... tsk, tsk, tsk.

Can't we all just get along??? biggrin.giftongue.gif

In all seriousness though, I do prefer the old method though I do understand the new method. (Ray, I dig the secret Handshake BTW... thx cheers.gif ) I understand what (apparently) made it necessary to make the shift in this direction. Some of you are right in that a fair percentage of the people that use Mastercam will not use the features that made the change necessary. I'll say my favorite thing. If you don;t like the way something works, send your opinions to [email protected]. They listen. Be constructive in your criticisms because living breathing people read them and you don't want to offend someone that you want something from. biggrin.gif

Lets keep from getting nasty though.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump -

Okay, I'll wait until MR1 to have the Machine Group name to default to the .mcx part name.

This is also a critical issue for us. Our NC files are named the same as the Mastercam file without a revision suffix. Or I might add a setup suffix A,B,C... .But one letter is easier to type than changing the whole group name. PLUS - the setup sheet will follow the .mcx part number revision – the number I have to type in by hand to match the Mastercam file name.

Yes I know, blah, blah. But I would like to see Mastercam improvements (new software release) to be easier for us, not make life so much harder.

BTW – we control what NC file runs on what machine by the ASCII file extension. .fad for Fadal and .kmo for Komo. Virtually foolproof and simple.

~Kathy

biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

This is also a critical issue for us. We have many repeat jobs with different job numbers. Our NC files are named the same as the Mastercam file. We use the # sign in the suffix as a proven program identifier. We also use a setup suffix setup suffix A,B,C... as some parts we manufacture may have 3 or more setups. Changing one letter is easier to type than changing the whole group name. PLUS - the setup sheet will follow the .mcx part number revision – the number I have to type in by hand to match the Mastercam file name.

Again I ask when is The Chook Setdir.DLL coming back. I absolutely hate having to redirect a file everytime I have to save it.

I my opinion MCX is it harder use than any previous version?

Isn't software improvemnets supposed to make our jobs easier and more efficeint??? We are doing more clicking and redrecting of files than we ever had to do in previus versions.