Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Englisg tap size question.

Lstar

#8 is the number size of the tap in question but the 13 and the 60, nope never thought about that. Just a formula with a couple of numbers that help it all add up.

headscratch.gif

Is that .122-40 an exteranl thread?

.125 Ø is the major for a #5-40 but if it is an external thread many people cut them and the tolerance allows some below nominal size, this could be what it is.

If it is an internal thread, it would seem to be that it is either a #5-40 or a typo and it's supposed to be a #4-40 but there is enough of a question I would ask for clarification.

Lstar,

Are you looking for an explaination of your thread size callout?

As I stated above, you should probably check for clarification on the thread size.

In all probability it is #5-40 but it is spec'd out wrong if that is the case. The customer should be able to clarify his needs.

Dude, you need machinerys handbook.

Linky

The #4-40 thread is spec'd out as such

Internal 2B

Minor Ø .0939/.0849

Pitch Ø .0991/.0958

Major Ø .112

The #5-40 thread is spec'd out

Minor Ø .1062/.0979

Pitch Ø .1121/.1088

Major Ø .125

So as I stated above

quote:

If it is an internal thread, it would seem to be that it is either a #5-40 or a typo and it's supposed to be a #4-40 but there is enough of a question I would ask for clarification.

What ever the thread IS, .122 Ø major diamter is not a standard callout.

John, your formula doesn't just get you "in the ballpark", it is right on. A little research reveals the following-

" In 1907 the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) defined two series that used Seller's thread, numbering the sizes by gage numbers from 0 to 30. In the series the major diameter increased by 0.013 inch with each size from 0 to 10, and by 0.026 inch between gages above #10."

(from http://www.sizes.com/tools/thread_history.htm )

And I had always thought the numbers were arbitrary. I find this kind of historical information interesting.

Anyway, I believe current ANSI recommendation is to specify standard screw threads by decimal size and TPI, e.g., .190-32 for #10-32 and .250-20 for 1/4-20. The number system will probably die at the same time as the universal adoption of the Metric system.

To address the original question, .122-40 looks like a misprint, and I would get clarification on what is desired.

MattW