Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

leftover-won't give me what I want

beej

I see the picture of beautiful leftover path on the box that version x came in. And would really like to duplicate a path like that. I use the constant z option and zigzag. But it completely ignores corners that it should mill. And often leaves stepovers that are .0001 or .0002 where it should be .003 or .005. I know this must be a difficult path because I have had problems with UG and Cimatron too. Uh oh, maybe it's me. Does anyone else have these problems.

quote:

I use the constant z option and zigzag.

Try this on leftovers. It can be run with the Highfeed filter to decel the feedrate on downward direction moves, works great for me I use it every job.

3-d collapse/.003 stepover/.01 cut extension.

It leaves very little stock in the corners, but if you need to be perfect, add a pencil along with it.

Thanks Murlin, I'll give that a shot.

I still would like to have that toolpath that they are showing on the box. But I'm beginning to think that picture is kind of like the pictures of cheeseburgers at the fast food places. there is no path like the one on the box is there? biggrin.gif

cmon cnc software guys stick up for yourselves here. tongue.gif

beej,

I recently completed Mastercam X training at my reseller and we did some leftover and pencil toolpaths in class. I don't have the model handy but the wireframe of the model can be found at http://www.emastercam.com/files/x/mill.html and the tutorial can be found in the Mastercam X Mill Training Tutorials book in the 'Tutorial #15' section. The model is a teapot shaped object and the tutorial covers creation of the surfaces and machining the object using rough pocket, finish scallop, leftover, and pencil toolpaths. We did this example in class and I thought the leftover and pencil toolpaths were really slick. The instructor did say that you may need to play with the settings to get EXACTLY what you are looking for, but it CAN be achieved. biggrin.gif

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you download that model you can experiment with it yourself. Better yet, someone may be able to upload the finished model with all the toolpaths to the ftp site so you can check out the settings and try to duplicate the toolpaths on a project of your own. biggrin.gif

edit:

Sorry...I forgot to add that you can get the Mastercam X Mill Training Tutorials book here if you don't already have it. wink.gif

[ 11-23-2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Jim at Gentex ]