Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dave Post Here

mcrae_andrew

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Pffftttt, wuss! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I'll have 1,000 before Sunday!!!!!!!!! j/k. Who knows how long it will take. I think I'm at 989 now. Nope, looks like 991.....

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Andrew - When James surpassed me months ago, I had considered a "James has been removed from the board for posting more than me" message as a joke.

On a serious note, I did work hard in the early board days trying to answer every question in an effort to help prove that this could be a viable tech support alternative. The board now has a nice critical mass of users, and has taken on a life of its own thanks to all of the dedicated Member, and certainly the two "J's". So I'm actually very pleased to see my posting totals slipping down the charts. It means this forum is working out to be a success.

I just post when I see fit. Post count doesn't mean much to me. However, on other forums, post count means everything due to various incentives both good and childish tongue.gif

I think the majority of people who post on this forum do it to contribute and not to raise their post counts. I have yet to see a "BUMP" post on this forum biggrin.gif

quote:

Andrew - When James surpassed me months ago, I had considered a "James has been removed from the board for posting more than me" message as a joke.

Along with this thought, I posted a few days ago. That because James had made a BOO BOO that he could not post till I caught up with his posts.

He did not follow this new rule I made.

So can I punish him?

Oh ya, I am the 1st to say that some times I am like a big kid.

But I also feel like I am playing with my friends on the forum.

biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Dave, many companies now do Tech Support through UBB and it has proven successful in the cases where I've seen. Whoever doubted lacks vision. Hopefully the Dealers?Resellers will see somthing like this as an asset rather than a liability.

I do think the time has come to start looking at the illegal software user issue.

Good job with the board Dave. Thank you.

Good Day,

Throwin' out an idea here:

If people didn't mind installing an ActiveX control when before signing in to the forum, we may be able to crack down. It could maybe read a SIM and compare to a master list or look for alternate EXE sizes (cracked EXE emulating the HASP layer). If they "pass", they're allowed into our forum. If they "fail", they're presented with a warning, their IP is recorded and they're not allowed to enter the forum.

Now all I need is time biggrin.gif

Now the problem I find with this is some people do this from home and work.

So would it check every time?

If so then they would have to take the key with them.

And some of our users are employs that can not take the key.

But I know if we change this to a forum that is for users only then we may need to change the FTP password and they would have to email for it after registration.

That way it would not be open to the public.

I could make it check when they first log into the forum and then periodically force an updated install of the control (similar to the ActiveX control used on Windows Update)

quote:

If so then they would have to take the key with them. And some of our users are employs that can not take the key.

Here's where it could start to get tricky. But there could be solutions. Once again, I'm just brainstorming here; thinking out loud. It could be a "for fun" project, that could become a new way to track down pir8s biggrin.gif