Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tooling

KLR

I have a part that is approx 5 feet long, 5 feet wide and 8 inches tall. I have lots of surfacing to do nut i need to be able to reach 5 inches from top and cut a large area in the center of my piece between two raised areas that are 4 inchers high. my question is this: Is there a tool suplly who can sell me tooling that is relieved shank and a depth of cut of at least .625. i have been talking with tooling personnel that have extended collets and all that but i need a tool that is relieved shank so my spindle can stay above z zero and reach four to five inchers down on a surface banghead.gif without crashes into my piece.

Also, if anyone wants to take a peek at what i am trying to accomplish, please tell me how i can upload a mc9.1 file

thanks

klr

Are you cutting metal or wood? I frequently have custom cutters made from my autocad drawings. If you can't find what you are looking for from one of the supplyers that may be an option. One thing to keep in mind is the longer the tool more vibration can happen. I cut wood and I use higher RPM's than you will have with metal.

I have purchased through MSC mills that have a the characteristics that you are looking for.

Mark:

FYI - Hanita now offers the VariMill in long reach sytles. (just got new catalog last month) although only 4.25 reach on a standard relieved 1" tool they stock 3/4" & 1" Dia. up to 7" long without neck relief (but they custom grind relief on std. tooling fairly quick)

KLR: - If your not cutting steel niagara has std. extended reach styles in carbide & HSS - also try Millstar (millstar.com) if you need somthing really long (They have sweet insert cutters with carbide or HSS shanks, in relieved neck styles - offered in small Diameters)

Hope that helps,

Jason

Look to Dura Mill they offer Carbide in 1" dia with a 1-1/2" L.O.C with a 8" O.A.L with no relief so you can decided what works for you. Harvey tool just came out with a new Extended line that is relived and radii on the shelf. Just got some carbide 5/8" dia 1" L.O.C. with a 5.75 relief with an 8" O.A.L. and they use some of the best carbide for their tools.

Take a look at Harvey

HTH

Wow! Thanks for jumping on this so quickly! I just wish the distributors would! LOL BTW, I am cutting renboard, woodplastic, all the model stuff. I no longer cut metal so this is different with feeds and speeds, etc. I need to reach like i said before with ball end mills of 1", metric if i can find, and the real kicker is finding smaller diameter (1/8) to clean up and finish the radius. Thanks, guys I will chase down all leads!

ROBBJACK Endmill's will make you any endmill in any length exactly to your needs. They are not the cheapest, however in the industry, they are known for holding THE tightest tolerances and building some of the best endmills on the market. I have reduced shank endmills with coolant grooves made by them every month. I run 4.00 OAL, .625 LOC w/ 2.00 reduced shank. They also offer both a "Feather Blend" option so that you will not see a step down line as you mill deeper, as well as a "Mirror Edge" prep which reduces and in most case eliminates chatter issues with these longer lengths. I use .187 - .750 diameters in the above dimensions.

www.robbjack.com

Oh, by the way, if you are using heatshrink holders, you will especially love the Robbjacks, as their shank tolerances are THE tightest in the industry at -.0001/-.0002. They hold one tenth on their shanks. I don't believe you will find any other company that will state those shank tolerances. This makes for consistent heat shrinking of tools every time, all the time. I have used alot of endmills from just about every mid to high end company, and I have almost always had inconsistent shrinking issues, that is until I used Robbjacks. Just my experience, hope it helps!!!