Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Switching tools in an operation

camguymtl

Hi guys, I have a job with 25 tools that runs on a 8,000 rpm machine. I have to transfer that job to a 4,000 rpm machine with slight modifications to the tool list but the tool numbers (pot) stay exactly the same. My question is: how can I quickly interchange the tool librairies, switching from tool #1 for a 8,000 rpm machine to tool #1 for a 4,000 rpm machine. Do I have to load both tool librairies and switch tools 1 by 1 in the operation list? Is there a C-hook to take care of that? Thanks for your replys. biggrin.gif

camguymtl,

Are you using Mcam X or V9? You don't have to change all the tools in the library or switch libraries even. In Mcam X select the Files folder under the Machine Group Properties. This will open the MGP dialog shown here: i21wus.jpg

Click on the Edit button in the Machine-Toolpath Copy box. This will open the current Machine Definition. Look for the Tool Spindle under the Mill Table Group in the lower right corner of this dialog. Double-click the Tool Spindle and a new dialog will appear to allow you to change the spindle speed for that machine. See image below. i21z4w.jpg

Once the Spindle speed has been modified, click the OK button until you get back to the Ops Manager. Then just select all operations, right-click in the Ops Mgr, select Edit selected ops-Recalculate feeds/speeds and regenerate them. Or you could follow the advice from the previous replies. HTH cheers.gif

camguy,

Are you only worried about the tools that are set to run above 4000 RPM? If so, will you now run them at 4000 RPM? Maybe you can leave the programs just like they are. On our Fadals, if we program for an RPM that is higher than the machine will allow, it just defaults to the max RPM. If that worked, you wouldn't have to change anything and the programs would still be good if it's a repeat job and they have to go up on the other machine.

Just a thought.

Thad

Thanks for all the replies, We are switching to X from V9 in the near future by the way. My problem is by posting for a lower rpm machine I am also changing tool kits (tool #1 is the same tool type but with a different configuration) and I would like to provide new tool information as well as new feeds and speeds in the new NC program. So the big question is how can I replace the old Tool #1 information with the new Tool #1 information without recreating new operations. Part of the solution is by bringing in a new tool librairy, but how can I switch tools quickly?

Thanks, Bob.