Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How can I get rid of collisions and gouges

The model shop Inc.

Are the surfaces/faces a converted entity? i.e. Brought in from IGES or Catia?

If so, I have notice that MasterCAM tends to react better to surfaces generated in MasterCAM, you may need to re-create these surfaces in MasterCAM.

Also, believe it or not, I have seen the Check Surface function actually work against you. If you have it on, and you can, try turning it off and see if you don't get the gouges.

This is a topographic surface, I use foam as the material to cut then fiberglass it, this surface

contaions hundres of thousands of small surfaces, I select all surfaces as drive and didn't select any surface as check, I don't think

I can stop it at those spots, most of these are occuring in the valley.

All of the gouges are smaller than my filter tolerance.

Is there any limit regarding the gouges?

When running collision check, often one will get these small gouge points.

However, most of the time they are so small they cannot be seen on the finished part.

The trick to knowing when collision check is reporting a noticable gouge, is in the report.

keep your eye on the volume colum and hold down the arrow key to cycle through them.

As long as you are seeing volumes of .000X/.0000X

no worries.....

I would think that given what you are doing, .001 wouldnt even be a problem....

set the slider to low and you will only see the bad ones...

If you are dealing with a ton of "patched" surfaces you should really consider trying to make larger, possibly even one surface. Loft is a good one, or coons. I know on version X there is a new create surface finction like Coons, but not Coons.

What could be happenning is the high quantity of surfaces aren't "trimmed" perfectly, so the cutter wants to roll in the gaps/imperfections.

But it also sounds like Murlin's got things figured out, good call on the tolerance wink.gif

This may be a little off: check to see if you have other surfaces underneath the ones you're cutting. I've had the experience that when there are surface gaps, MC actually wants to cut what's below those gaps. This has come up when I worked with surfaces made in another system and when there was a hefty quantity of them.