Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why are my 5 axis paths gouging?

Bruce Caulley

Hello all,

I have a project that involves modelling the fanciest 5 axis part I can and then taking video of it being machined. I have started the programming and have found that MC is gouging when verifying swarf, curve, 5axis flowline, 5 axis Msurf. To see if it was just the complexity of the part I was doing I did a quick model of a vane and put a couple of toolpaths on it. Verify shows the tool gouging out the lower back section. If you ignore the op that is in the file as this was just me fiddling, can anyone else get good verified motion around this part.

Any help appreciated.

Bruce

simple vane

Greg,

For the swarfing and 5 axis curve paths I added the drive surface as a check and told it to leave 5 microns on the drive to see what would happen. It broke the path into a few different segments and would not machine the parts that were gouging beforehand. That is what is annoying me, MC knows that it is gouging these walls but isn't correcting itself.

For the 5 axis surface paths I have tightened up the tolerances to th Nth degree and the paths take a couple of hours to regen. When posting it says "Instability found. Retracts added" or something similar.

By turning the output to 4 axis I get a good verify with a 2mm step over, but as soon as I drop it to 0.1mm for the real thing it gouges in verify again.

These samples are for Rolls Royce jet engines, so I can't make a xxxx up out of it.

Bruce

Ok, I tried a 5 axis Msurf in the same model in V9(not the one I linked above) and it worked fine.

I know those that use this toolpath must be few and far between, but someone on here must have used it on X if not during Beta then just out of curiosity. Can anyone give any advice? Or should this be a QC issue?

Bruce

• 1 month later...