Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Any recommendations?

Age of 16

In what way are you going to be using a ladder logic control? Are you going ot be using a Pc logic control for the servo's? Are you planning on having a display screen on the machine? Are you planning on using servo mounted encoders or side mount returnalbe scales or glass scales? Building a machine from scratch and that would problay be one of my last questions IMHO.

Well its going to be something simple with stepper motor linear actuators. My boss wants me to use a CAD software to build a solid version on screen then send it to CAM to be done out with the CNC Milling Machine. 1 actuator will be the Y axis, one will be the z, and one will be the x. I have no real knowledge on how many axis we are going to have.

If your planning to build it yourself ans ude stepper motors, your not looking for high accuracy. So why dont you just go buy a Haas Minimill and a seat of CAM software. Save yourself a lot of problems.

But I guess if someone else was paying the bill, it would be fun to try an build my own milling machine. Certianly good experiance.

Did you look at the kits. You can buy an AH-HA controller, or an Anilam for fairly cheap. Then you just have to hang it on the machine and do the mechanical part.

Mike Mattera

Do some web searching, there is lots of info for building cnc machines.

Mikes idea of using kits is a good one. Look into Centroid controls, they sell the control and servos ready to mount onto an existing mill.

Rekd on this forum is/was building his own cnc mill. Maybe he will chime in here....

Im an intern, they want me to learn. Steppers arent bad at all. They are quite precise and accurate. For most part, the accuracy is depending on my usage of software. If the software is used correctly. Then the hardware can be anything. I just need to know if the program works for that certain board.

What a undertaking. I can see it as a hobby but for a boss to have someone that work for him build a CNC? There is a lot more to a controler the move X stepper then move Y stepper. Buy a Used South Western MX3 for 5 grand rebuild it. You will have 1% of the headaches and be done and ready to run "Safely" 10 times faster. In the end you will have a nice sellable machine. Most states protect employers from being sueing if an employee is hurt at work. Machine manufacture are not protected. Build your own machine and your employee cuts off a finger or worse and you open a door that could cost you everything.

Ahahaha nice DC Gorn. Id rather go thru the hardship cause thats wat im here for. The knowledge i can get. And building a simple CNC is not that hard to me. Making it do a simple square is not that hard. All i need is some good math and some good software. I try to do the impossible and exceed my knowledge. =) 16, young and building a bright, hard future.

At 16 thats impressive only thing I was building at that age was a lil black book list and a hole in my dads liquor cabinet follow your dreams and don;t ever let anyone tell you something can't be done. Cause anything can be done we just may not have the knowledge yet to do it. Just remember safety especially running this thing for the first time

Don't get me wrong I think its a great project but you did start out your post with "My company kinda" When you are done you will have a neat little project but you should not put a operator in front of it and say run these parts. If you did you are opening up your company to a hugh law suit. I was just saying if you rebuild an existing machine the design responsibility still goes back to the original manufacture. You would still know 10 times more then any 16 year old knows about CNCs that I have ever met.

It’s just my opinion but it you want to build automation build a pick and place robot, something low power that can not hurt anyone.

FYI as a tool designer I have been to court over a hydraulic fixture that was designed by me that pinched off someone’s fingers. The design assume twin palm button on the actuator but that had been disabled. My company was found not liable but still had to pay lawyers and waste time. I do think there was a settlement between the operator and the company that made the palm buttons.

Santa delivered one of these a few weeks ago:

http://www.shoptask.com/

with the Camtronics controller and Mach2 controller software. The controller setup is pretty good and runs standard ISO (read FANUC) G-Codes.

There are tons of home machinist forums on the internet with a wealth of information, such as:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=69942

Good luck with your project!

Lol. Well, this machine aint gonna hurt no1 cause the company i work with are all experienced and they know how to make these stuff already. They are trying to have me learn to make these machines and i think this isn't as hard as others say it is. Trust me, i have worked with some crazy machines and im still alive now. I have been doing this stuff for about 2-3 years so im not that little experience at it. I ain't afraid to do this stuff. I really dont like buying other company's products if i know i can make them myself. I am determined to learn this stuff. And ima aim as high as possible. This is the way to go. No pain no gain =). Dont worry about me. Im not on a time limit.

"Lol. Well, this machine aint gonna hurt no1 cause the company i work with are all experienced and they know how to make these stuff already."

Ok that is where I am mistaken. See here, where I live, people make mistakes and when those mistakes end a career layers get involved. Once layers are involved everyone gets sued. Machine building company’s know it and are insured for it. I still think its a great project and wish you luck.