Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drip feed

Zoeper

This is not quite Mastercam stuff but...

would you copy program code from Mastercam (or any other cam for that matter) to the control memory, or do you drip feed to the machine directly?

reason i ask is i think this lathe has very limited memory and if i use the control to do cutter compensation in Mc the backplot does not show exactly what is being cut.

Control is a Fanuc 10t

thanks

p

we have a 10t Fanuc controller on our lathe and you are right not a whole lot of memory we only run one program at a time and if it is a big program we remove all block numbers and spaces and if it is still to big we drip feed from dnc system only problem with drip feed you cant jump around program very easy if you have to recut a tool cheers.gif

quote:

only problem with drip feed you cant jump around program very easy if you have to recut a tool

I know on our DNC Max if you need to start somewhere type in the block # and sequence search just like if it was loaded in memory, just takes an extra secod or 2 to scroll it up.

Hi Zoeper,

Typically on an RS-232 connection you would need to use only three of the pins to do the actual communication. Pins 2 and 3 would be crossed (2 goes to 3, 3 goes to 2) and pin 7 would be straight through (pin 7 goes to pin 7). Just solder on some D-sub connectors and go. Cimcoedit comes with Mastercam V9, so if you are running V9, you have the cimco editor. Check here: C:/mcam9/common/editors/Cedit/CIMCOedit.exe

In version 9 you could also set up mastercam to do DNC communications directly, but you would only be able to use your computers com port (a 9 pin serial port on the back of your computer). When doing this method you can also use a switch box to communicate to several different machines.

-Colin

www.multiaxis.com

quote:

Most Fanucs have a "Tape" mode that is used for DNC.

The machine in question has got he following modes available:

Edit, Auto, MDI, x1, x10, x100, Jog, Rpd and Zero

I went through alll the menu functions on edit, auto and MDI, and i canot find anything that mentions the word tape.

any ideas...anyone

They do have some manuals for the machine, but they do not seem to be for that exact model and relying on them is dangerous, your chances to learn from it - dicey!

the machine does have a serial port and i managed to feed a program to it(load to mem - not drip feed) with a primitive dos type program. 90% of what reaches the machine seems ok, but sometimes the top of the program ( 2-3 lines go missing and sometimes the last bit as well rtfaq.gif

If a few lines go missing I would double check the baud rate and if they don;t match I would slow it down a notch.

With the program being able to be "punched" sent directly to the conrol thats a good thing you should be able to "drip feed" a program to the machine look for something on the lines of I/O channel and see if that needs to be change then try to send the program while in auto