Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface rough problem...

jp

Hi you all,

I have posted a file on the FTP ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/MC9_files/

I would like to face the green surface. I have a lot of piece like this and I would realy like to know an effective way to surface this part of the piece. I try the parallel surface toolpath with no succes probably because I use a 3.75 stepover witch seem to be too big. I can not find a way to effectively remove the stock.

Thank's

J-P

RGI

MC9 MR0105

Well I am thnking you are talking about the angled wall. I would look at surface rough pocekt and you can start outside your boundary. This gives you the flex-ablility to get the toolpaths like you want as well. You could also look at surface rough contour, I have even used surface rough flowline. I would however suggest you limit your Z dpeth to the tops of the 3 pads. I would then on another level or with a different color make a new pocket close to the shape you are trying to achieve leaving stock for the smaller tool. One thing you did which I do all the time is make your chain bigger than the part but you can use vertical surface created with certian toolpaths as check surface if you want to limit movement where there is no contianment boundary allowed. Pretty straight foward part just need to worry about those square corners up the angled wall hope you got a corner radius tolerence in there some where. If you need to create the square corner from the floor to the angled wall then here is a little trick. Use a flat endmill give it about .001 stepover and set your depths on the surfacing toolpath of your choice, Parrelle, Flowline, Contor, Project, or even scallop(last choice). You then get the sharp corner with only the area not as smooth as the rest for the amount equal to the smallest radius tool you use to surface the angled wall.

HTH

Hi Millman,

Unfortunately I have a radius tolerance for the corner I was planing to use a 3/8 ballnose endmill to make the angle. And the steps that stick out of the surface are to be apply after machining. I leave them there as a reference. that is why I make this biger surface over my part...

Thank's again for your quick responce, I'll try your sugestion and keep you in touch.

J-P

I would then add the 3/16 radius surface to the green you already have so that is you use the surfaces as drive surface Mastercam will know to stay away from them. You can also use contour on that edge using taper to acheive a quick toolpath but have to keep your tool radius in account as well if uding that toolpath.

[ 01-17-2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Crazy^Millman ]