Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids/Surfaces

Leocam

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's a pretty vague question but I'll give it a shot.

If you are getting a Solid from your customer, then unless you're going to have "wicked" parting lines then I'd stay with Solids, but........ if you get a Surface Model from your customer and have wicked parting lines then I'd suggest using Surfaces. Something else, If you're going to need to be using Check Surfaces then you'd either have to use a combination of both Solids and Surfaces or just Surfaces.

Hope that helps.

Leo,

If your customers have the ability to give you a 2d wireframe, they also have the ability to give the 3d wireframe, PLUS surfaces. Ask for an iges file at this point. It is always better to work from a 3d file instead of redrawing what someone else has already done. Time is money. If you must create the needed geometry, and the part is simple, I strongly suggest getting MC solids.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

but the problem is that the data I'm receiving is 2-D autocad drawings

, that's a problem alright. Engineers using a full featured CAD program for like a Drafting Board..... such a waste but that is an entirely different issue.

I feel your pain as I deal with this every day. Our engineers use AutoCAD and give use Flat 2-D files. I import them, then begin working on them. I use solids, It is MUCH easier AND faster to use Solid Modeling in this case over Surface modeling. All you have to do is take your views and extrude them and you're done. Begin programming.

Correct me if i am wrong but I dont belive that Mastercam will not allow active multiple Contruction planes along with matching active multiple veiwports. Only one contruction plane at a time So you have to flipflop back~n~forth ,back~n~forth ,, top front,side. I do this conversion crap all the time.

Create 3 veiw ports ,,top ,front, side.

Map"Match" each 2D ortho veiw to its own cplain & make sure the geometry is align in each viewport relative to each other. Keep in mind that a each ortho veiw has depth information to project & elevate. You may have to convert hidden line to solid lines. NOW the fun begins. I use both surfaces & solids. Youll get it.

Have fun

Kenneth Potter

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

Hi

""""but the problem is that the data I'm receiving is 2-D autocad drawings. With many different Z levels identified by a depth chart.""""

Cutting these projects as if this customer's info is correct is wishful thinking.

(I have worked in this snake pit before)

This is what I did ------

I made a complete solid to identify all customer requirements before setting any customer expectations ,or cutting anything.

Here is a sample of the letter the customer sent back to me----

Scott,

According to our discussion about 18 questions that you marked on the

p/n bla bla bla--- Rev B drawing, I am going to update my drawing to catch those

changes.

The following corrections are going to be made in Rev C.

1. For issue 2, the N holes should be on FS not NS.

2. For issue 17 and 18, The wall is going to be increased .030" on the

FARSIDE to cover the opening. And, the radius is .063. See the attached

file.

3. For issue 5 and 6, NS14B and NS14A callout on sheet 4 and sheet 10

should be swapped. See the attached file.

4. For issue 8, make .094 fillet on FS08. See the attached file.

5. For issue 9 and 10, Three FS08 callout at LNA portion on sheet 6 need

to be changed to FS14A layer with .934". And depth chart on sheet 10 needs

to create FS14A layer also. See the attached file. p/n bla bla bla--- .dwg

My .02 =========== Make the solid.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Naaaahhhhhh, they are a picture of perfection and efficiency, they brought us the Spruce Goose afterall.

ROFLMAO

quote:

According to our discussion about 18 questions that you marked on the.......

That's just awesome. You shoudl come visit my shop some time. We programmers catch those guys cheating all the time. Fudge a dimension here and there.....

P.S. - I would DEMAND Solids. It will reveal many of the Engineer's mistakes and mis-calculations. It's worth it for that reason alone. Nevermind it helps programming and takes a bunch of time out of the design/programming process. "I WANT MY SOLIDS!!!!!!!"

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Hi

""That would'nt happen to be Hughes your talking about. By the way you say the callouts are it sounds like it."""

********In my Jack Web voice*************

These are actual crimes that toke place in Los angelus, the names have been withheld to protect the innocent.

Leocam email me or call from my profile, we can go to lunch at 12:00

Scott,

I work in Valencia, so it would be hard for me to make it out to Chatsworth, But I often go to Starbucks on Mason/Devonshire after work, we can meet there for a coffee at about 6:00 p.m.

I live in Chatswoth

Please confirm

Leo Novik

Advanced Design Technologies .(ADT)

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Leocam ]

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Leocam ]

leocam,

I work in Chatsworth, so it would be hard for me to make it out to Valencia, But I often go to Starbucks on Mason/Devonshire after work, we can meet there for a coffee at about 6:00 p.m.

I live in Valencia

You may have seen me at Mason/Devonshire after work. I ride a 24" BMX bike with a #1 on the front. Tonight I have a meeting in Acton at 8:00 But I wiil be at Starbucks on Mason/Devonshire untill 6:10 See yo there.

Oh ya after you had the guts to ask solids or surfaces you bet. eek.gif J/K

I was trying to get to your companys web site looks like its down. Bummer

I am in your area all the time.

I have a few customers all in that Rye Canyon area.

May be some other time i will stop by and say hi.

Oh by the way scott will have to kill you on his own i will not be able to make it after all.

Sorry wink.gif

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]