Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Customized tool in surfaces

Donizeti Pinto

Friends,

We tried to use a kind of bull mill (48.5 mm diameter, but with 75 mm nose radius). As there no options to define it as a bull mill we defined this tool as a customized one.

With this geometric configuration, we think as we can use bigger "max.stepover" values we´ll save a lot of machining time with good results in terms of smooth machined surfaces.

However, Mastercam do not recognize the nose radius nor the tool profile, even it is a customized one. The only available option is to use a corner radius (in customized tool size parameters), that do not work as we need (for instance, the tool do not touch the surface as this one becomes more vertical...)

Have anybody got this experience before?

I have not tried to draw this configuration but it is hard to think MC would not see it even as a custom.

I have some very odd looking grinds that I had created used and verified in MC and haven't had a problem.

When you create your custom do you save it into it's own file and then save it in your tool library, I find this works best for me.

Make sure you only draw half the cutter in the XY + quadrant. When you define it choose a file instaed of a level.

HTH

quote:

As there no options to define it as a bull mill we defined this tool as a customized one.

copy the original bull mill from the tools folder and rename it what u want, then open that and edit it and save, u should have no problems

i have drawn up port tools and custom undercut tools and saved them on levels as well as saving to a file and never had a problem

if you continue to have troubles go to the help files relating to custom tools

hth

help also needed

just updated to MR1

custom tools backplotted fine in mcamX no sp

but after update to MR1 custom tool defined as a facemill looks like a full radius slotter

custom tool file worked fine in both v9.1 and mcamx with not sp's, now not even close

any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Been searching forum for my problem, and found this thread - looks like months have past........

Fairly new user, - X,MR1 -

I too, am getting the "UFO Frisbee" look in with custom file tools in backplot - fine in verify. Has there been any progress on this glich?? pretty time consuming to have to verify when a backplot could do most of the time.

Welp,

after some 'sperimenting, I've come up with a (albeit temporary until fixed) workaround for the UFO. idea.gif

If I use an external file as my cutter, I ALWAYS get the UFO. If I use a level, I get good backplot tooling. Go figgure!

This IS a bug. (anyone listening?) headscratch.gif

Try it yerselves and see if it works for you