Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

metric tap on haas

PeterM

Here's a nice tip for programmers with Haas milling machines. Our shop runs inch mode, but our customers sometimes want metric parts, go figure. Haas machine tools solid tap using exact FPM (three places F00.000)so take ANY metric tap, find the nearest multiple of 127 RPM to the recommended rpm and the feed is an exact fit. For example M8 x 1.25 , pitch = .049212598 x s508 = F25. or x s635 = F31.25 .Try that with any metric pitch, works great! Peter

Why not just use a G95 and feed with IPR?

I use that for ALL of my taps.

Less room for calculating error,and it's easier to see that you have the correct feedrate no matter the rpm.

I also use IPR on some drills where I know the feed is correct but I want to tweak the Rpm's a little bit.

quote:

Less room for calculating error,and it's easier to see that you have the correct feedrate no matter the rpm

Yup, but if you set it once in your tool library, you'll never have to calculate it again.

haas_guy

To use the M8 x 1.25 from above

1.25/25.4 = .04921

So you'd have

T1 M6

G95

G00 G54 G90 X0. Y0. S550 M03

Height callout

G84 Z-.75 R.1 F.04921

and then to go back to IPM mode you have G94 at the end.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I personally would like a switch or option to have feed rates expressed as IPR for Milling. When drilling it is very helpful.

I ALWAYS tap in IPR if the control supports it. Less rounding error and you can change the Speed without having to re-calculate feed.

JM2C

Nobody would laugh me out of anywhere, but 6'6" 265lbs counts for something....

Seriously, I programmed ALL G95 in the machines I have that support it before we got MC but now that I use Mastercam pretty much exclusively I have gotten lazy and just do RPM*IPR in the feed rate box and run G94 all of the time. Most of the guys who run milling machines are so used to seeing S1000 F3.0 that they get all flustered if the see F.003 instead. Seems simple to me but I have gotten a lot of bitching about it over the years and I just took the path of least resistance at the end. If you run proven feeds and speeds it doesn't matter a whole lot either way, in my opinion.

C

I hear ya chris, that's more what I was getting at.

Everyone is just used to seeing it one way and since the inmates DO run the asylum.....

Well, as you know that path of least resistance.