Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Graphite plates for waxing quartz

JohnA

Hello all,

I'm not sure if I have revisited this forum since my return from Iraq but if not...Thank you to all who posted words of encouragement for me while I was gone. I came right back to my old job and fell back into the groove in no time.

This question is for those who have machined quartz or even who are currently machining it. The obvious problem in quartz machining is how to hold the stuff without breaking it. Typically we wax quartz to an aluminum plate and machine it that way, however, when the finished part is thin, it tends to break when the plate is reheated to remove the part. We have several methods to overcome this problem but I read elsewhere in this forum that graphite plates were used by someone else in the quartz industry. My question is this: Does graphite expand a lot when heated, relative to aluminum? Would using graphite drastically reduce quartz breakage upon reheat? I know graphite is ungodly expensive but the savings in broken parts might justify the cost of the fixture plate. Any responses are appreciated.

Quartz is used in high temp applications (1200 C or more) for growing oxide on silicon wafers (just one of the applications). Other materials will either off-gas and contaminate the wafers or melt at those temperatures. As far as using the same material for the backing plate, it is extremely expensive and will break or crack too easily when clamping. I was hoping that graphite was cheaper and not as likely to break when clamped. Thanks for the suggestions and please keep 'em coming.

http://www.handyharmancanada.com/TheBrazingBook/comparis.htm

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/thexp.html

looks like graphite is pretty close to quartz in tempco. a better option would be zirconia, but that's probably not too cheap either. re: backing plate breaking or cracking with clamping: you're cutting thin parts, right? how much clamping force do you need???

Jeff